Professor Aidan Coffey
Prof. Aidan Coffey lectures at the Department of Biological Sciences; and is a Principal Investigator at the Centre for Research in Advanced Therapeutic Engineering (CREATE).
Office: Room 207; telephone extension 5486 (353-21-4335486)
Laboratories: First floor of CREATE building, CIT Bishopstown Campus.
- BSc Microbiology, University College Cork (UCC);
- PhD Microbiology, UCC;
- Postdoctoral Scientist, Wageningen University & Research Centre (The Netherlands);
- Senior Research Officer, Teagasc, Moorepark, Fermoy, Co. Cork;
- Senior Lecturer at CIT (2002);
- Acting Head of Dept. of Biological Sciences (2007).
- Food microbiology; Biocontrol of pathogenic microorganisms.
Author on over 180 peer-reviewed research papers and book chapters in addition to two patents.
Graduate supervisor of 22 completed PhDs and 10 research MScs.
- Research award allocations totalling over €4.0 million. Sources include: Science Foundation Ireland (SFI), Enterprise Ireland (EI), Department of Agriculture (FIRM), Teagasc, Irish Research Council for Science Engineering and Technology (IRCSET).
- Involvement in successful capital investment projects totaling more than €4.5 million (Source: Higher Education Authority and HEA-PRTLI5).
- Research has been featured in The Sunday Independent, The Irish Times, Evening Echo, The Irish Examiner, Irish Independent, Sky News (live interview), and on radio.
- Microbiology and Molecular Biology