Dr Aidan Coffey
Dr Aidan Coffey is a Senior Lecturer at the Department of Biological Sciences and a PI at Cork Institute of Technology’s Centre for Research in Advanced Therapeutic Engineering (CREATE)
Office: Room 207; telephone extension 5486 (353-21-4335486)
Laboratories: First floor of CREATE building, CIT Bishopstown Campus.
- BSc Microbiology, University College Cork (UCC);
- PhD Microbiology, UCC;
- Postdoctoral Scientist, Wageningen University & Research Centre (The Netherlands);
- Senior Research Officer, Teagasc, Moorepark, Fermoy, Co. Cork;
- Senior Lecturer at CIT since 2002;
- (Acting Head of Dept. of Biological Sciences during 2007).
- Food microbiology; Biocontrol of pathogenic microorganisms.
- Author on over 150 peer-reviewed research papers in addition to several book chapters and two patents.
- Graduate supervisor of 20 completed PhDs and 9 research MScs.
- Research award allocations totalling over €4.0 million. Sources include: Science Foundation Ireland (SFI), Enterprise Ireland (EI), Department of Agriculture (FIRM), Teagasc, Irish Research Council for Science Engineering and Technology (IRCSET).
- Involvement in successful capital investment projects totaling more than €4.5 million (Source: Higher Education Authority and HEA-PRTLI5).
- Research has been featured in The Sunday Independent, The Irish Times, Evening Echo, The Irish Examiner, Irish Independent, Sky News (live interview), and on radio.
- Microbiology and Molecular Biology