Professional Master of Education (Art and Design)
Field of Study
Type of Course:
Type of Qualification:
Type of Study:
Application Closing Date:
Monday 30th April 2018 - NOW CLOSED
Candidates must have a primary degree in a Fine Art or Design discipline(s) that is recognised by the Teaching Council of Ireland as qualifying you to teach Art and Design at post-primary level. In some cases equivalent qualifications that are recognised by the Teaching Council for the teaching of Art and Design may be considered.
You can get further relevant information on their website http://www.teachingcouncil.ie/ or by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org or by calling +353 (0)1 651 7900 or LoCall 1890 224 224
Eligible applicants will also be interviewed.
This programme requires applicants to undergo a Garda Vetting process. This requirement is due to the mandatory external placement element of the programme which will bring the applicant into contact with children or vulnerable adults and in which they will assume positions of trust. Please click for more information.
CIT Crawford College of Art & Design
CIT CCAD Website:
Students should note that Fees quoted relate to the academic year 2017-2018 only and are subject to change on an annual basis.
EU Applicants €10,800
Please note that these fees are payable to UCC. e-mail: email@example.com
Union of Students in Ireland (USI) Levy
The USI membership levy of €7.00 has been introduced as a result of a referendum where students opted to affiliate to the national Students’ Union. This levy must be paid before the start of Semester 1.
Under the Back to Education Programme (BTE) applicants may be eligible to apply for income support. The BTE programme is a second-chance education scheme for jobseekers, lone parents, and people with disabilities who are getting certain social welfare payments. Under the programme, income support is provided to allow participants undertake a second-level or third-level course to improve their education and skills. A jobseeker must be over 24 years old and on a jobseeker's payment for at least 12 months to qualify.
For more details, please visit http://www.studentfinance.ie/mp7237/back-to-education-allowance/index.html
The Professional Master of Education (Art and Design) (PME (Art and Design)) is recognised and accredited by the Teaching Council of Ireland for the purpose of registration as a post- primary teacher of Art and Design in Ireland and the EU.
The Professional Master of Education (Art and Design) (PME (Art and Design)) is a two-year, full-time Level 9 postgraduate professional teacher education programme offered jointly by CIT Crawford College of Art & Design and University College, Cork, that leads to a professional qualification as post-primary teacher of Art and Design. It is recognised and accredited by the Teaching Council of Ireland for the purpose of registration as a post-primary teacher of Art and Design in Ireland and the EU. The programme integrates three strands of study.
- Firstly, it involves the student in direct teaching of Art and Design through two, year-long school placements.
- Secondly, students attend a range of art and design workshops and lectures that broaden the student’s subject knowledge to meet the demands of the post-primary Art and Design curricula along with exploring Art and Design Pedagogy.
- Thirdly, students attend lectures and tutorials at both CIT CCAD and UCC, which develop student teachers’ requisite professional knowledge, skills, understanding and competences.
During the two-year PME (Art and Design) programme, students are introduced to best practice in teaching, learning and educational research with special emphasis on meeting the diverse needs of learners, on the curriculum and on current issues in education. Students are encouraged to integrate educational theory and practice through extensive reflection on their own professional classroom practice. They are supported in their development by experienced teachers in school and tutored by specialist CIT CCAD and UCC staff in nurturing their professional identity as teachers.
The PME (Art and Design) is a two-year, 120 credit Level 9 programme leading to a professional teaching qualification. It is offered jointly by CIT CCAD and UCC and is organised in partnership with second-level schools, normally located within a 50 km (30 mile) radius of Cork city.
On successful completion of the programme, you will have acquired the professional knowledge, the diverse subject knowledge, the understanding and skills that you need to teach Art and Design in a second-level school. You will have gained practical experience in two contrasting school settings, and developed your ability to respond flexibly to the diverse and changing needs of students aged 12 to 18. You will have been challenged, encouraged and invited to question your beliefs and assumptions about the purpose of education, the nature of teaching and learning and the role of the teacher in the 21st century.
In Year 1, students undertake 60 credits of learning:
- School-based activity (30 credits) i.e.,
- direct teaching of Art and Design (20 credits) and a
- research and professional experiences portfolio (10 credits);
- Curriculum-related Art and Design Practice, and the Teaching of Art and Design 1 (10 credits);
- Foundation Studies - areas covered are philosophy, history, psychology and sociology of education; inclusive education, and curriculum and assessment (20 credits).
In Year 2, students undertake a further 60 credits of learning:
- School placement-related activity (30 credits) i.e.,
- direct teaching of Art and Design (20 credits) and a
- collaborative seminar looking at contemporary issues in Irish schools (10 credits);
- The Teaching of Art and Design 2 (5 credits);
- Foundation Seminar is (5 credits);
- Professional Research Paper in Education (20 credits).
No. of weeks per semester: 12
No. of timetable hours week
Year 1: 8 - 10
Year 2: 6 - 7
Which days: Monday to Friday
Duration: Four semesters
- Application closing date: 30th April 2018.
- If you would like to apply for the Professional Master of Education (Art and Design) offered by CIT Crawford College of Art & Design and University College, Cork, please click here. When applying through PAC, please use Code CKD 25