Higher Certificate in Business (Mature Students)
Field of Study
Type of Course:
Type of Qualification:
Type of Study:
Application Closing Date:
31st May 2017
Full-time course duration:
Leaving Certificate is desirable but not essential. Relevant work experience, skills gained through experiential learning and other qualifications will be considered when assessing applications.
The course aims to provide mature students (23 years of age by 1st January of the year of entry), with an accessible route to a third level qualification in Business. This qualification will equip mature students with the skills, knowledge and competencies to take advantage of employment opportunities in areas such as accounting, marketing, computing, banking, insurance, etc., or to pursue a Level 7 Degree qualification.
Management and Enterprise
Full Time Undergraduate Student fees and Grant Information can be found at by CLICKING HERE.
The Student Contribution Charge for the academic year 2017/18 to be confirmed. For guideline purposes only, the charge for the academic year 2016/17 was €3,000 + the Union of Students in Ireland (USI) membership levy of €7.00. This Levy is not covered by a SUSI grant and must be paid before the start of Semester 1.
The Higher Education Student Contribution fees may apply. Participants may apply online for a Student Grant at www.studentfinance.ie. This website has useful detailed information about financial supports.
This course is also recognised under the Back to Education Allowance Scheme of the Department of Social Protection.
Special features of the Course
- Family friendly timetabling, usually 9am – 2pm Monday to Friday.
- Progression route to further studies.
- A team of dedicated lecturers who ensure that participating in this course is an enlightening and enjoyable experience.
- A high level of support ensuring assistance is available when you need it.
- Maintenance grants are available to eligible students.
- Tutorial support as appropriate.
- This course is recognised under the Back to Education Allowance Scheme which in certain circumstances permits those participants in receipt of social welfare payments to retain these payments while completing the course.
- The inclusion of Information Technology (IT), and Computing ensuring that students of this course have the necessary skills on completion.
Mature Student Support Network
The Network provides support for mature students with organised workshops: e.g. Study Skills, Stress Management, the Third Level Experience etc. The Network provides students with peer support and assists students in managing college life. The Network also provides opportunities for social interaction with other mature students.
Duration & Timetables
This is a full-time course over two academic years. Lectures are timetabled from Monday to Friday between 9.00am – 2.00pm in so far as possible to accommodate the needs of mature students.
One further year of study could lead to a level 7 Degree in:
Bachelor of Business (Full-time)
Bachelor of Business in Management (Part-time)
Bachelor of Business in Accounting (Full Time and Part-time)
Two Years of further student could lead to a Level 8 Honours Degree in:
Bachelor of Business Honours (Full-time and Part-time)
Bachelor of Business (Honours) in Accounting (Full-time and Part-time)
I haven’t studied Mathematics in years, is there an opportunity to get grinds?
CIT’s Academic Learning Support Centre offers free Mathematics Support Sessions throughout the year.
The following areas are covered in Year one and Two of the programme. Please note that due to timetable restrictions elective options are selected for the programme and geared toward Business and Accounting further study options.
Year 1 Modules
Business Mathematics & Statistics
Information Technology Skills
Creativity Innovation & Teamwork
Year 2 Modules
Business Decision Making
Further details of modules can be found by clicking the button below:
- Online application is open for course commencing 11th September 2017.
- Please attach and upload any documents such as transcripts, CV, other details relevant to the application.
- Applicants will be required to attend for interview in CIT
- Please answer the following questions either in the "Additional Information" field or attached as a Word document:
- Why do you wish to return to education?
- What do you hope to achieve from this course?