Certificate in Leadership Development
Field of Study
Type of Course:
Type of Qualification:
Special Purpose Award
Type of Study:
Application Closing Date:
1st October 2017
one semester (six months) part-time programme
Organisation and Professional Development
The Certificate in Leadership Development is a one semester (six months) part-time programme that is designed to provide the knowledge, skills and confidence required to successfully manage teams in a manufacturing environment. The programme uses an innovative blend of real-world situations and problems to assist participants in exploring the opportunities of the manufacturing environment. The industry-focus of the programme coupled with the applied nature of teaching provides a practical bedrock of knowledge and experience which can be used to immediate effect in a multitude of business contexts. Participants will explore various theories and concepts that will develop their skills and competencies, in an applied context, developing a toolbox of skills that is valuable and readily usable and which will lead to improved team performance in a working environment.
The programme is structured to ensure that participant’s time is used wisely and entails a wide variety of leadership development tools. A phased approach, consisting of a series of lectures, facilitated workshops and work-related projects will be used to ensure that the programme is relevant, engaging and enjoyable.
Teaching Methods and Learning Support
The teaching methods that will be employed on the Certificate in Leadership Development will be intensively interactive, with an action-learning focus and use of live case studies and workplace problems. Rather than an exclusively lecture-style approach, the emphasis in class will be on lecturer-led group discussion and class debate, which will draw upon the experiences of learners to illustrate key learning points and to bring concepts, theories and frameworks to life.
The live case study method will be a consistent feature throughout the programme. This practical, applied approach to teaching methodology will be underpinned by assessment instruments, and the practical application of best-practice theory to analyse the environment in which the learners work.
The programme will be overseen by the Head of Department who has ultimate academic responsibility and oversight of the programme.
One of the benefits of undertaking the CIT Special Purpose Award, Certificate in Leadership Development, is that learners become alumni of CIT and, as registered students of CIT, will have access to the CIT library, including access to thousands of academic and trade journals, during their studies.
Learners will also have access to the online Blackboard learning management system. Blackboard will be useful for learners in several ways:
- To access course documentation such as course outlines, handouts and slide decks,
- Lecturers will post links to helpful websites,
- Blackboard can be used to set up online workgroups with other course participants,
- Assignments are submitted and feedback is delivered via Blackboard.
Three modules, each at 5 ECTS, Level 8 Special Purpose Award – Certificate in Leadership Development
The programme comprises 3 modules:
- Effective Leadership – This module explores leadership styles, motivation, change management, communication and impact.
- Driving Team Performance – This module considers project management, problem solving and performance management. The module will include the use of live case studies from the employer sponsor.
- Leadership Development – leadership principles, developing high-performance teams, coaching and mentoring, and employee legislation will be considered in the context of this module.
The programme will make extensive use of reflective logs, together with a cross-modular project, report and presentation, in teams. Learners will build on their experience and learning gained on the programme, to develop their leadership style and hone techniques and skills that will inform their best-practice application.
Participants will attend classes for two full days per month (totalling 12 days). Some classes will be delivered in CIT, while others will be delivered on-site.
Total Tuition: 96 hours
- Course commences on 28th September 2017, and will end on 28th March 2018
- Online application is now open, and will close on 1st October 2017