Land Surveying (Practical)
Field of Study
Civil & Structural Engineering
Type of Course:
Type of Qualification:
Type of Study:
Application Closing Date:
16th September 2018
This is a short CPD course for those who have certified competence in Land surveying, linear surveying and leveling. It is particularly suited to construction personnel who are involved with the organisation of surveying and setting out on construction sites.
Civil, Structural & Environmental Engine
|All part-time programmes at CIT will run subject to sufficient student numbers. Where a programme cannot proceed, applicants will be contacted and advised on alternative study options.
Students should note that Fees quoted relate to the academic year 2017-2018 only and are subject to change on an annual basis. Except where stated, course fees cover the cost of tuition only.
Course fees must be paid before attending lectures.
This is a short CPD course for those who have certified competence in Land surveying, linear surveying and levelling. It is particularly suited to construction personnel who are involved with the organisation of surveying and setting out on construction sites. Please note that a delivery of this programme occurs when sufficient demand exists. Applications are held on file and contact is made with interested applicants when the minimum number of students required to deliver the course has been attained.
Applicants may also be interested in the Digital Land Surveying short course which occurs in spring each year).
Information updates may be obtained by contacting the Department of Civil, Structural & Environmental Engineering.
Having completed this module, an individual would expect to be able to:
- Organise resources, record and process survey data using specialised equipment (e.g. Total Station, GPS, Digital Level)
- Use computer applications to process and manipulate survey data
- Use specialised equipment (e.g. Total Station, GPS, Digital Level) to set out construction works
- Process and present in an appropriate format the outcomes of survey or setting out exercises
- Work as the leader in a team carrying out surveying exercises
Electromagnetic Distance Measurement
Construction and use of equipment. Sources of error and accuracy. Checking adjustment. Field procedures.
Data capture. Setup data. Feature codes, strings and digital ground modelling. Coordinate systems. Software and hardware requirements.
Accuracy specification. Stages in setting out. Generation of setting out data. Methods of marking and referencing.
Data formats. Software systems. Digital Terrain Modelling. Data presentation, plans, sections and models. Calculation of volumes.
Global Positioning Systems
Introduction to practical Applications of Global Positioning Systems. Principles of operation. Space, control and user segments. Differential GPS.
Duration & Delivery
The course is typically offered over a number of days, including Saturdays. Exact dates and timetable arrangements are available on the programme webpage. Typically, the hours may be 6pm – 9pm Friday evenings and 9am – 4pm Saturdays for a total of four weekends. Information updates may be obtained by contacting the Department of Civil, Structural & Environmental Engineering.
Single Module Certification (5 ECTS credits at Level 7 on the National Framework of Qualifications)
- Online application is open for course commencing 5th October 2018.
- Closing date for application is 16th September 2018.
- Delivery of this programme is subject to sufficient number of applicants. Eligible candidates will be considered on a first come first served basis.
- Please note that applicants will be required to pay the course fee of €600 online if a place on a course is offered.
- Please attach and upload any documents such as transcripts, CV, other details relevant to the application.