Cookery Professional - (Advanced Certificate) Total Immersion Programme
Field of Study
Type of Course:
Type of Qualification:
Type of Study:
Application Closing Date:
Selection for this course is based on an interview to be held in Cork Institute of Technology.
The course is aimed at career changers, school leavers with a proven flair for cookery, employees in industry. Only candidates who show a level of maturity and demonstrate a passion for food and a commitment to the field of professional cookery will be considered for entry into this programme.
NB: Places are limited to 16 participants per year.
This premier programme offers high quality hands-on education where both theory and practical elements are delivered in state of-the-art professional culinary facilities. This course is aimed at mature participants, with a passion for cookery, who wish to pursue a career as a professional chef in the hospitality sector.
Tourism & Hospitality
The twelve month programme is structured as follows: 9 months > 3 days in college and 2 days working in industry with an employer of choice followed by 3 months > Intensive structured industry training with an employer of choice.
Due to funding changes, please contact Geraldine McCarthy, Department Secretary for details regarding course fees.
This course is aimed at mature participants, with a passion for cookery, who wish to pursue a career as a professional chef in the hospitality sector. The course covers the key skills required in professional cookery and is delivered in three stages of learning
- Learning the Fundamentals
- Exploring the Techniques
- Refining Culinary Service
The course provides participants with the benefits of personnel attention, instant feedback, hands-on experience and reinforcement, so that each carefully planned class provides participants with the tools for working in the catering sector. Participants will truly immerse themselves in the world of professional cookery.
The course offers high quality, hands-on education where both theory and practical elements are delivered in state-of-the-art professional culinary facilities. As part of the course, participants work in industry in a professional kitchen and enhance their practical cookery skills.
The course is 12 months in duration structured as follows:
9 months of 3 days in college and 2 days working in industry with an employer of choice, followed by 3 months intensive structured industry training with an employer of choice.
Advanced Certificate in Professional Cookery (NFQ Level 6)
- Culinary Skills and Standards
- European, Mediterranean Cuisine
- Menu Planning & Cost Control
- Restaurant Service and Communications
- Classical Cusine
- Food Safety
- Culinary Science
Some of the benefits you can expect
- Gain an internationally recognised qualification in 12 months
- Avail of valuable college education and intensive industry experience in a structured manner
- Opportunity to learn from highly skilled lecturing staff
- As a participant, you will develop a broad base of knowledge, a confidence in your skills and the fluency to move successfully into a career that is right for you
- Online application will open shortly.
- Please note: entry to this course will also be based on interview to be held in CIT.
- Please note: that applicants will be required to pay an acceptance fee of €500 online if a place on a course is offered. This fee is deductible from the overall course fee.
- Please attach and upload any documents such as transcripts, CV, other details relevant to the application.