National Traineeship in Professional Cookery (Day Release Programme)
Field of Study
Type of Course:
Type of Qualification:
Type of Study:
Application Closing Date:
15th September 2017
- Participants must be currently in full-time employment and have a minimum of 6 months professional cookery experience within that establishment where their employer is committed to facilitating their further training.
- This course operates on the basis of mentor direction i.e. participating employers are required to provide a mentor/trainer who is a member of the culinary staff and who has successfully completed an accredited trainer course;
- Entry to this course will also be based on interview to be held in Cork Institute of Technology early to mid-June.
Tourism & Hospitality
CIT Fee €1,750
The course fee is fully supported by Fáilte Ireland for participants who are deemed to represent tourism premises. Subject to change.
This course focuses on developing professional qualifications for people who are working in the field of professional cookery, but have not previously gained a Professional Cookery qualification.
Benefits of this course for the participant:
- Gain an internationally recognised qualification in your chosen field of study;
- Enrich your job immediately as you acquire more skills and secure a better future within the industry.
Duration & Delivery
2 Years Day Release.
The Traineeship in Professional Cookery is a day release course with attendance at CIT and on-the-job training in a recognised catering business over a 2-year period.
Employer Commitment is Vital
Participating employers play a crucial role in the operation of the course by contributing to the development of the learner’s progress through following a course of directive learning and by abiding by a specific code of practice developed for the course.
Note: In September of each year, some full-time attendance is required on the course.
Advanced Certificate in Professional Cookery (Level 6 on the National Framework of Qualifications).
This programme is supported by Fáilte Ireland.
Course Content & Delivery
The Traineeship Course in Professional Cookery is a day release course with attendance at CIT and on-the-job training in a recognised catering business over a 2-year period.
Please note that in September of each year, some full-time attendance is required on the course.
- Culinary Skills and Standards
- Food Safety and Nutrition
- Classical Cuisine
- Pastry, Baking and Desserts
- Food Science and Technology
- International Cuisine
- Information Technology
- Menu planning and Applied Nutrition
- Personal Effectiveness
- Meal Service
- Course commences in September 2017.
- Applicants will be required to pay an acceptance fee of €875 online if a place on a course is offered. This fee is deductible from the overall course fee.
Please upload the following supporting documentation with your application:
- C.V. which should include a full employment history
- any other supporting documents relevant to your application
- Establishments wishing to operate this course and nominate an employee must be registered with Fáilte Ireland. Once you have submitted your online application and receive an Application Reference Number, please download the following two forms and return to: Geraldine McCarthy, Department of Tourism & Hospitality, Cork Institute of Technology, Bishopstown, Cork
- Registration of Establishment
- Code of Practice