Mature Students (Full-Time Courses)
MATURE STUDENT ORIENTATION for incoming full time undergraduate Mature Students
CIT will host a Mature Student Orientation on Wednesday 30th August from 10.00am- 3.00pm on the CIT Bishopstown Campus.
This programme will give incoming Mature Students the opportunity to:
- Meet other Mature Students;
- Take a tour of the CIT Bishopstown Campus;
- Become familiar with mature student support services;
- Learn about student email and the college ‘Blackboard’ system;
- Find out more about fees and financial supports.
Please note that this event is not intended to provide specific course information and timetables will not be available.
An invitation & further information about the orientation will be sent via email to all Mature Students who have accepted a place on a programme of study in CIT for 2017/2018.
For further information, please contact Emily Clifford, Access Service Administrator, on 021-4335138 or email Emily.Clifford@cit.ie
Cork Institute of Technology strongly encourages applications from mature candidates and is continually working towards wider entry routes in order to increase participation of adult learners. Returning to education after a break, or entering it for the first time as a mature student, is becoming very popular. The Mature Student brings with him/her life experiences along with determination and focus, all of which are conducive to successful learning. The ‘mature student’ very often becomes the ‘ideal student’.
There are a wide variety of courses at certificate, diploma and degree level to choose from within CIT. This webpage highlights for you the entry mechanisms and gives you some information on the supports available for mature students.
Mature Student queries - click on the link most relevant to you below
- I am interested in going to college but I don’t know what I want to do
- I am interested in going to college and I have an idea of what area I would like to study but I don’t know which course would best suit my needs
- I am interested in going to college and I know what course I want to do. How do I apply?
- I have applied for a course in CIT through the CAO what happens now?
- What fees will I have to pay?
- What financial supports are available to me?
- What supports are available to me as a mature student in CIT?
- What important dates do I need to know about?
Note: Applications must be made through the Central Applications Office (CAO) for entry into Year 1 of a full-time undergraduate programme in CIT. All other applications can be made directly to the Institute. Click here or contact email@example.com tel: 021-4335040 for further information.
The Mature Student Officer, Christine Nolan, is based in the Access Service, Student Centre, Bishopstown Campus.
Mature Student Guide:
Are you a Mature Student?
To be eligible under this category, applicants must be 23 years or older by the 1st of January of the proposed year of entry.
Information Evening for Mature Students
An Information Evening will be held for prospective full time undergraduate mature students onn 16th November 2017.
At this event, prospective mature students are provided with information on Course and Career Options, Life in CIT as a mature student, Grants, Fees, Financial assistance, Student Supports & Services.
Presentations usually include:
- Introduction to CIT
- Taking Steps to Third Level Education
- The Mature Student Experience
- The Application Process
- Recognition of Prior Learning
- Supports, Grants, and Fees
Following on from this information evening, a CAO Information Evening for Mature Students is held in January. The CAO closing date for application to full time courses is the 1st February each year.