Assistive Technology is any piece of software or equipment that helps a student to become a more independent learner and supports the student in achieving their full potential.
Assistive Technology Service (ATS)
The DSS has its own dedicated Assistive Technology Service for DSS students. It includes a full time Assistive Technology Officer who meets and train students in all campuses, a dedicated computer lab based in the Student Centre (next to the Bank of Ireland) on the Bishopstown campus, as well as a range of software available on open access/library computers in the different campuses such as Read Write Gold and Inspiration Mind Mapping.
The ATS has a range software and equipment to help students access their lectures and notes such as:
- Apps for phones and tablets
- Live scribe pens*
- Digital recorders*
- Digital magnifier technologies (e.g. Optiverso)
- Soundfield system
- Dragon Naturally Speaking
- Touch Type Read and Spell.
* Please note if you wish to record lectures you must ask permission to do this – DSS students receive an Audio agreement form that they can ask lecturers to sign for this permission.
Students registered with the DSS can use their student card to access the AT Service computer lab for studying as well as access to computers and printing during the hours the Student Centre is open.
AT You Tube Channel / Twitter
Check out the AT YouTube channel for helpful videos and guides on the different assistive tehcnology software
ATS Twitter account for updates on resources: https://twitter.com/ATS_CIT
Mark Burleigh is the full-time Assistive Technology Officer and his office is in the AT Service, Student Centre, Bishopstown campus.
- You may need to meet Mark for an AT assessment and training if this is recommended in your DSS Needs Assessment meeting.
- Mark also runs training workshops during the year.
- Mark manages any equipment that you might be loaned by the DSS.
Mark is available to meet students by appointment Monday to Friday 9.00am - 5.00pm.
Assistive Technology Service, Ground Floor, (beside the Bank of Ireland) Student Centre, CIT Bishopstown campus
E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org Tel: 021 433 5125