share this page

Financial support for DSS students

Fund for Students with Disabilities

There is a fund available to eligible full-time students with disabilities called the Fund for Students with Disabilities which can provide specific academic supports, personal assistants, sign language interpreters etc. The Disability Support Officer makes applications to the Fund on behalf of an eligible student after an assessment of need with the student. Students cannot apply directly to the Fund. The Disability Support Officer is also responsible for the management of the funding approved for eligible students.

For CIT DSS to apply for funding, the student must provide relevant documentation as evidence of a disability e.g. educational psychologist report, audiologist report etc.  Please note that letters from a GP are not accepted as evidence of a disability.  Students attending full time courses in the Republic of Ireland, Northern Ireland, the UK and the EU are eligible to apply for the fund dependent on residency criteria.

The ESF Fund for Students with Disabilities run by the Higher Education Authority (HEA). It is an objective of the Third Level Access measure which is co-funded by the ESF Programme for Employability, Inclusion and Learning (PEIL) 2014-2020.

The HEA assesses all applications and allocates funding to the college directly not the student. Please note that students requiring support from the Fund for Student with Disabilities must register fully with the DSS by mid December at the latest.

Contact the CIT DSS for more information, telephone 021 433 5107/ 5137 or email:

The Student Finance website also has more information on the fund:



Student Assistance Fund

Registered CIT students can apply for financial assistance with the costs of going to college through the Student Assistance Fund. For more information please see:


Disability Allowance / Other benefits

Students who receive disability allowance /other social welfare benefits and have questions about attending college or working while studying should contact their local social welfare office or their local Citizens Information centre:


Other useful websites relating to finance