Principles of Art Therapy (Foundation)
Field of Study
Type of Course:
Type of Qualification:
Type of Study:
Application Closing Date:
5th June 2019
Applicants will be invited to attend an interview, with examples of their work, in order to ensure that there is a good match between their aspirations and the course.
The programme offers an introduction to the core principles of Art Therapy – boundaries, the image, self-inquiry, process and the triangular relationship. Through experiential workshops, lectures and seminars, the course aims to provide a deeper understanding of the art therapy process. The course provides an opportunity to find out more about art therapy, exploring the history of Art Therapy and its theoretical underpinning through an extensive lecture programme. An opportunity is provided, through experiential workshops to experience and reflect on the process of Art Therapy within a group setting. Seminars, journaling and essay writing challenge participants to develop the practice of reflecting on their experiential learning and relating it to theory. For many, this introduction may be a step towards training as a qualified Art Therapist, for others it may introduce them to a more sympathetic understanding of the role of art in rehabilitation and development work.
Arts in Health and Education
CIT CCAD Website:
This programme will run subject to sufficient student numbers. Where a programme cannot proceed, applicants will be contacted and advised on alternative study options.
Students should note that Fees quoted relate to the academic year 2019-2020 only and are subject to change on an annual basis. Except where stated, course fees cover the cost of tuition only.
Course fees must be paid before attending lectures.
For more information on Fees, please visit fees/students
Certificate in Principles of Art Therapy
Duration & Delivery
Location: 46 Grand Parade
One academic year. Part-time, once a month in 2-day blocks (Friday - Saturday) from October to April.
Course fee €1,400
The Certificate in Principles of Art Therapy (formerly the Art Therapy Foundation Course) is a Level 8 (10 ECTs credits on the National Framework of Qualifications) certificate comprising of two 5 credit assessed modules. Through theory and experiential learning this course provides an opportunity to explore Art Therapy within a group setting.
The aim of the course is to introduce participants to the basic principles of Art Therapy. For many, this introduction may be a step towards training as a qualified Art Therapist, for others it may introduce them to a more sympathetic understanding of the role of art in rehabilitation and development work.
Each month is focused on a core principle of art therapy. Students will participate in a lecture, experiential workshops and a seminar, exploring that principal with qualified arts therapists. A variety of approaches to the process of Art Therapy will be introduced through these workshops, lectures and seminars.
Upon successful completion of this programme the graduate will be able to demonstrate
- An understanding of the role of creativity as a therapeutic methodology
- An awareness of the core principles of the practice of art therapy
- Understanding and awareness of the variety of clinical areas where art therapy is practised
- Understanding of the theory of Art Therapy in practice through experiential workshops
- Ability to engage with and develop their own understanding of the creative process
Certificate in Principles of Art Therapy, 10 ECTS credits (Level 8 on the National Framework of Qualifications).
- Online application is open for course commencing 11th October 2019.
- Please note that applicants will be required to pay an acceptance fee of €700 online if a place on a course is offered. This fee is deductible from the overall course fee.
- NB ► Please upload the following supporting documentation here with your application (relevant experience & reason for applying to this course and have you had experience of personal therapy).
- Please note: Entry to this course is by interview.