Socially Engaged Theatre
Field of Study
Type of Course:
Type of Qualification:
Type of Study:
Application Closing Date:
15th May 2022
One Academic Year (Part-time. 2-day blocks, once a month- Friday/Saturday)
- Demonstrated interest in Visual Art/Theatre/Music or a relevant area
- When you are applying online (see the 'apply tab' above, please upload a CV and a motivational statement detailing why you want to do the course.
MTU Crawford College of Art & Design
All part-time programmes at MTU will run subject to sufficient student numbers. Where a programme cannot proceed, applicants will be contacted and advised on alternative study options.
Students should note that fees quoted relate to the academic year 2022-2023 only and are subject to change on an annual basis. Except where stated, course fees cover the cost of tuition only.
Students will be notified of their fees by email to their MTU email account and in all cases, course fees must be paid before attending lectures.
For more information on fees, please visit fees/students
Course Fee: €1,450
The socially engaged theatre programme is a Level 8 certificate comprising of two 5 credit assessed modules. Through experiential learning, this course provides an opportunity to explore socially engaged theatre theory and application within a group setting. The learning environment will be a blended mix of indoor and outdoor locations. When we are outdoors, we will travel to nearby greenspaces including city parks. Outdoor environments enhance learning experiences by connecting us to nature, ourselves, and real-world applications.
The aim of the course is to introduce participants to the basic principles of socially engaged theatre. Graduates will learn how to effectively use theatre in both formal and non-formal contexts as a means for positive change.
The first module introduces students to a range of socially engaged theatre processes. Through experiential learning, students will explore the aesthetics, ethical considerations, and transformative potential of socially engaged theatre. In the second module, students will devise and perform socially engaged theatre pieces aimed to address social challenges.
Why do the course?
- Learn fresh ways to inspire participants to explore social issues.
- Learn approaches to theatre which bring an ethical and aesthetic awareness of socially engaged practices.
- Develop your ability to devise, perform and evaluate socially engaged theatre practices that effectively respond to social issues.
Certificate in Socially Engaged Theatre, level 8, 10 ECTS on the National Framework of Qualifications
MTU CCAD has developed a website which gives full details of all modules for all courses. The website also has information on recommended textbooks, average weekly workload, assessments, and exams.
- Arts in Social Care
- Arts in Education
- Arts programming Production Management
- Arts programme Developer
- Arts in Health programmes
- Outreach Education programmes
- Artist Engaged in Community Issues
- Professional Artist
- Gallery/Museum Education
- Youth work
- Community Education
- Second Chance Learning
- Community Development Officer
- Arts in Health Practitioner
- Online application is open on 17th January for course commencing 27th September 2022.
- Please note that applicants will be required to pay an acceptance fee of €500 online if a place on a course is offered. This fee is deductible from the overall course fee.
- Note: You will not be charged for applying for the programme by clicking the 'apply now' button, you are only asked to pay an acceptance fee if a place is offered to you, and you wish to accept it.
- When you are completing the application form, please upload a CV and a motivational statement detailing why you want to do the course.