Field of Study
Type of Course:
Type of Qualification:
Special Purpose Award
Type of Study:
Application Closing Date:
Candidates are required to have a Higher Certificate in Engineering or Science (Level 6).
A Special Purpose Award designed to meet the education and training needs of scientists and engineers, to equip them with the knowledge and skills to operate effectively in the biopharmaceutical industry. Practicals are delivered both at CIT and at the National Institute for Bioprocessing Research & Training (NIBRT) in Dublin.
Process, Energy and Transport Engineering
All part-time programmes at CIT will run subject to sufficient student numbers. Where a programme cannot proceed, applicants will be contacted and advised on alternative study options.
An Information session will take place on Wednesday 4th September 2019 from 5.30pm to 7.00pm at the CIT Bishopstown Campus. Institute staff will be in attendance to offer career guidance and assistance.
Students should note that Fees quoted relate to the academic year 2019-2020 only and are subject to change on an annual basis. Except where stated, course fees cover the cost of tuition only.
Course fees must be paid before attending lectures.
For more information on Fees, please visit fees/students
Duration & Delivery
The programme is delivered in one year, a module per semester, 6.30pm – 9.30pm, one evening per week. Each module comprises of weekly lectures and biweekly practicals. Practicals are delivered both at CIT and at the National Institute for Bioprocessing Research & Training (NIBRT) in Dublin.
This Certificate (Special Purpose Award) allows students to attain a knowledge and an understanding of the principles of Biopharmaceutical Processing and its underpinning science. The course predominately covers both cell culture and purification of biopharmaceuticals covering all unit operations, good manufacturing practices, validation and process analytical technology. The Certificate comprises of two modules namely, Biopharmaceutical Upstream and Downstream whereby the students gain significant theoretical knowledge through lectures and site visits. This Certificate upskills professionals from small to large molecule processing. It has an excellent reputation as a Continuing Professional Development (CPD) enabler.
To commence September 2019
To commence February 2020
Click on the above links to get detailed module information. The links also have information on recommended textbooks, average weekly workload, assessments and exams.
Certificate in Biopharmaceutical Process (10 ECTS) (Level 7 on the National Framework of Qualifications).
Note: All part-time courses at CIT will run subject to sufficient student numbers. Where a course cannot proceed, applicants will be contacted and advised on alternative study options.
CIT’s Certificate in Biopharmaceutical Processing has been endorsed by Engineers Ireland as a Continuing Professional Development (CPD) enabler. This Certificate upskills engineers, scientists and other professionals from small to large molecule processing and has proven very popular with industry since its inception five years ago, with class sizes growing from 10 to 33. It is the first CIT programme to be endorsed by Engineers Ireland as satisfying requirements for chartered engineers to fulfil their annual CPD obligations. Delivered by the Department of Process, Energy & Transport Engineering over one academic year, 80 professionals have, so far, been awarded the qualification.
- Online Application will open shortly for course commencing September 2019.
- Please note that applicants will be required to pay an acceptance fee of €550 online if a place on a course is offered. This fee is deductible from the overall course fee.
Note: You will not be charged for applying for the programme by clicking the 'apply now' button, you are only asked to pay an acceptance fee if a place is offered to you and you wish to accept it.
- Please attach and upload any documents such as transcripts, CV, other details relevant to the application.
Application Deadline : 30/8/2019 (Via Springboard+)
- Please click on this link to apply via Springboard+
- This course open to all applicants; Employed, Unemployed, and Returners who meet the eligibility criteria at the time of course commencement.
- Documentation supporting applicant’s status will be required as part of the application process.
- Further proof confirming an applicant’s continued eligibility will also be required at the time of course commencement.
- Visit: Am I Eligible For a Springboard+ Course? at https://springboardcourses.ie/eligibility
- The dedicated Springboard freephone helpline is available for further advice and information – 1800 303 523.