Project Management Techniques
Field of Study
Type of Course:
Type of Qualification:
Type of Study:
Application Closing Date:
See the apply tab for various dates
The delivery of this course will follow public health guidelines on social distancing and is likely to be delivered using blended learning which will comprise of online and face-to-face teaching.
Candidates should have basic computer skills. The course is aimed at those involved in the planning, control and execution of project work in the broadest sense.
The course is applicable to all industrial sectors (not just technical projects).
The course is a comprehensive and practical introduction to Project Management. The content and delivery is applicable to all industrial sectors (not just technical projects). The content is based on the Project Management Body of Knowledge (PMBOK©) which is administered by the Project Management Institute (PMI) in the USA. The PMBOK is a worldwide recognise professional standard for the practice of Project Management. The course is aimed at those involved in a wide range of projects. Participants come from a broad range of sectors and backgrounds and are typically involved in the planning, control and execution of project work in the broadest sense.
Mechanical, Biomedical & Manufacturing Eng
All part-time programmes at MTU Cork will run subject to sufficient student numbers. Where a programme cannot proceed, applicants will be contacted and advised on alternative study options.
Students should note that Fees quoted relate to the academic year 2020-2021 only and are subject to change on an annual basis. Except where stated, course fees cover the cost of tuition only.
Course fees must be paid before attending lectures. For more information on Fees, please visit fees/students
Course Fee: €925*
*A discount structure is available for groups: 5% for 2 people, 10% for 3 or more.
Note: Places are limited for this course. Eligible candidates will be considered on a first come first served basis.
One evening per week for 12 weeks, every Thursday, 6.30pm - 9.30pm. The delivery of this course will follow public health guidelines on social distancing and is likely to be delivered using blended learning which will comprise of online and face-to-face teaching.
Lectures are combined with case studies, workshops, simulations and practical projects. Course delegates complete various assignments in the class, as project teams and individual assignments. There are also hands-on computer practical sessions which will be used to instruct participants in the key areas of project planning and control. Candidates should have basic computer skills.
The course focuses on two main areas, primarily learning new tools and techniques to manage projects more effectively. Secondly, to gain increased awareness and learning in the area of ‘soft skills’ (e.g. leadership, team management, motivation, communication, negotiation, etc.) that are essential to effective project management.
Participants are expected to work on a project of their own choosing. Some short course assignments to be submitted to achieve certification.
- Introduction to Project Management and the fundamentals
- Project selection & initiation. Defining the Project Charter and Project Scope
- Project Planning and defining the Work Breakdown Structure(WBS)
- Managing Project Scope and Change in projects
- Project Time Management – Activity Definition, Activity Duration Estimating, Activity Sequencing, Schedule Development, Schedule Control
- Project Scheduling Software – MS Project version to 2016
- Progress measurement and reporting
- Managing Project Quality and Risk management
- Managing Project Finance and Resources
- Managing People – Team development and the Project Managers Role
- Improving personal effectiveness as a project manager
- Leadership Styles, Communication, Negotiating
- Project Closeout and Evaluation
Certificate in Project Management Techniques
5 ECTS credits at Level 7 on the National Framework of Qualifications, awarded by Munster Technological University.
Note: Successful participants will be eligible to two days exemption from the Diploma in Project Management and a reduced price from €3,850 to €3,250.
- Please note that applicants will be required to pay an acceptance fee of €250 online if a place on a course is offered. This fee is deductible from the overall course fee.
- Note: You will not be charged for applying for the programme by clicking the 'apply now' button, you are only asked to pay an acceptance fee if a place is offered to you and you wish to accept it.
- Please attach and upload any documents such as transcripts, CV, other details relevant to the application.
Online application opens 1st May 2021 for the following intakes
Course commences 16th September 2021
Deadline to apply is 14th October 2021
Course commences 27th January 2022
Deadline to apply is 24th February 2022