Process Operations (Certificate)
Field of Study
Type of Course:
Type of Qualification:
Type of Study:
Application Closing Date:
20th September 2021
This short 10 credit programme is designed to provide an insight into the engineering design process for process scientists, operators, or supervisors. This programme would be equally valuable to those scientists who may have an interest in gaining employment in the process industry.
Candidates are expected to have at least a Level 6 qualification in science or engineering on the National Framework of Qualifications
Prospective candidates should be ‘comfortable’ with mathematics.
Process, Energy and Transport Engineering
All part-time programmes at MTU will run subject to sufficient student numbers. Where a programme cannot proceed, applicants will be contacted and advised on alternative study options.
Course fees must be paid before attending lectures. For more information on Fees, please visit fees/students
Course Fee: €1,000
€500 per module. This includes course notes and MTU exam fee. There are 2 modules in total on the programme. Applicants whose companies are eligible for support via the Taste4Success Skillnet may be eligible for a fee reduction (currently €100 reduction).
- Candidates may choose to take any number of modules on a stand-alone basis and will receive individual certification for each module completed.
- All modules are at Level 7 on the National Framework of Qualifications (NFQ)
- Lectures will be supplemented by industry relevant laboratory practicals.
This short 10 credit programme (1 night (Tuesday) per week approximately for the academic year) is designed to provide an insight into the engineering design process for process scientists, operators, or supervisors. This programme would be equally valuable to those scientists who may have an interest in gaining employment in the process industry.
The modules focus primarily on the design of steam distribution, distillation, pumping, refrigeration control and heat exchange systems and are supplemented by a significant ‘hands on’ laboratory programme.
It is expected that classes will be conducted online and/or live streamed from campus and that laboratory practicals will take place in small groups in MTU on two separate Saturdays each semester (10am – 4pm).
Therefore, it will be possible for students to take these modules and only have to attend campus for labs and the final exam. Attendance at laboratories is mandatory.
Lecture sessions will take place from 6.30pm - 8.30pm on Tuesday evenings. The programme is delivered over 2 Semesters.
The programme takes 1 year to complete with modules taken in the following sequence.
Semester 1: CHEP7016 Fluids & Heat
Semester 2: CHEP7018 Process Plant Design
On successful completion of all three modules, graduates will be awarded a MTU Certificate in Process Operations (Level 7 on the National Framework of Qualifications).
- Online application will open 1st August for course commencing 21st September 2021.
- Places on the programme are limited to 20 and places will be allocated to applicants in the order in which applications are received (assuming that applicants are suitably qualified and have provided/uploaded appropriate evidence of previous qualifications).
- Please note that applicants will be required to pay an acceptance fee of €500 online if a place on the course is offered. This fee is deductible from the overall course fee of (€1,500). The fees for the remaining two modules will be due prior to commencing the modules.
- Note: You will not be charged for applying for the programme by clicking the 'Apply now >> button' below, you are only asked to pay an acceptance fee if a place is offered to you and you wish to accept it.
- Please attach and upload any documents such as transcripts, CV, scans of certificates and other details relevant to the application.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Option 1: Self-Funded
Applicants who are self-funded will be required to pay a programme acceptance fee of €500 online if a place on the programme is offered. This programme acceptance fee is offset against the cost of the first module. Subsequent modules (€500 per module) are paid for at the beginning of each semester.
Click on the 'Apply now >> button' below to apply if you are a self-funded applicant.
Note 1: It is understood that students may only have an interest in particular modules on the programme therefore students may ‘step off and on’ the programme at any stage and will be awarded ‘single subject certification’ for each module completed. Students who complete all 3 modules will be awarded the MTU Certificate in Brewing & Distilling Science (Level 7).
Note 2: MTU Certification and Examinations are separate to those offered by the Institute of Brewing and Distilling (IBD). Students wishing to take the IBD examinations in addition to the MTU Cork examinations should click here
Option 2: Supported by Taste4Success Skillnet
Applicants whose companies are eligible for support via the Taste4Success Skillnet may be eligible for a fee reduction of €100 and should take the following steps:
Step 1: contact Breda Barber at email@example.com to determine if you are eligible for a fee reduction.
Step 2: If you are eligible for a reduction then click on the 'Apply now >> button' below to apply for a place on the programme.
Step 3: Tick the ‘My employer will pay in part/full for my enrolment on this course’ button on the application page.
Step 4: Ensure that you input the appropriate waiver or discount code (as supplied by Taste4Success) into the ‘Additional Information’ box on the application page.
Taste4Success will pay your module fee to MTU on your behalf and you or your company will in turn pay Taste4Success €400.