Integrative Psychotherapy (MA)
Field of Study
Type of Course:
Type of Qualification:
Type of Study:
Application Closing Date:
The application process for 2020-2022 intake is now closed. The next intake will be in spring 2022.
- Have successfully completed the Bachelor of Art (Honours) in Counselling or Psychotherapy (minimum H2.2) or an equivalent* professional training in Counselling and Psychotherapy that satisfies the training requirements for professional accreditation.
- Be assessed through interview which will take place online.
- Two written references are also required for applicants who have not already been on a prior stage of the CIT Level 8 course.
Where an applicant has not completed the Bachelor of Arts (Honours) in Counselling or Psychotherapy, equivalence is assessed through the formal Recognition of Prior Learning (RPL) process used in Cork Institute of Technology. This involves applicants preparing a portfolio in which they would demonstrate how they have achieved the learning outcome of the modules in the BA (Honours) in Counselling and Psychotherapy.
National Vetting Bureau
CIT uses the National Vetting Bureau (NVB) to help assess the suitability of all applicants on this programme. It is important to note that participation in or completion of this programme may be affected by subsequent disclosure/discovery. For more information, please click here.
Applied Social Studies
All part-time programmes at CIT will run subject to sufficient student numbers. Where a programme cannot proceed, applicants will be contacted and advised on alternative study options.
For more information on Fees, please visit fees/students
Course Fee for the academic year 2020/2021
Year 1: € 3,500
Year 2: € 1,200
Duration & Delivery
The course has 90 credits and will be offered as follows:
- Year 1 (60 Credits) is a taught year where students will attend at College and supervision, thus completing the taught modules of the course. The regular sessions will be held on a combination of weekday evenings (generally 6.30pm to 9.30pm) and on Saturdays.
- Year 2 (30 Credits) will involve a programme of directed/supervised learning where students will research and write the Reflective Practitioning dissertation. During this year they will also carry out their Mental Health Placement.
This programme is a postgraduate course of study and training in Integrative Psychotherapy for practitioners who have completed the Bachelor of Arts (Honours) in Counselling and Psychotherapy or its equivalent. It aims to equip practitioners with the advanced knowledge and clinical capability that would match international standards of best practice within the Psychotherapy profession.
Client work and supervision:
Students will be required to carry out 100 hours of Counselling work with clients during each year of the course. They will be required to obtain supervision for this work from their own Supervisor. Additionally, during Year 1 they will participate in monthly group supervision arranged by the course coordinator. Payment for individual and group supervision will be made directly by students and is not included in the course fee.
Students will be required to be in personal therapy throughout the course. The cost of this is separate to the course and is arranged directly between the student and the therapist.
Master of Arts in Integrative Psychotherapy (Level 9 on the National Framework of Qualifications).
The process of establishing training standards to prepare for the statutory registration of Psychotherapists in Ireland is in an emergent state of development.
The present overall training programme at CIT combining the Bachelor of Arts (Honours) in Counselling and Psychotherapy, two years post-qualifying supervised clinical practice and the MA in Integrative Psychotherapy, represents the best interpretation of the requirements as they currently prevail.
CIT has developed a website which gives full details of all modules for all courses. The website also has information on recommended textbooks, average weekly workload, assessments and exams.
For detailed module information, please click here.