Artificial Intelligence (MSc) Part Time (online)
Field of Study
Type of Course:
Type of Qualification:
Type of Study:
Application Closing Date:
31st August 2021
Entry to the MSc in Artificial Intelligence will require a minimum of a Level 8 honours degree in Computer Science, Engineering, Computing or an honours degree in a cognate discipline. As this is an expert level programme, it is essential for applicants to have a strong proficiency in mathematics, including statistics, and an advanced level of coding competency in Python.
This master's degree programme provides a technical deep-dive into the area of Artificial Intelligence (AI). The programme will produce AI graduates with a highly relevant skillset in AI topics. You’ll learn how to use and develop intelligent computer systems that can learn from experience, recognise patterns in vast amounts of data and reason strategically in complex decision making situations. The programme places significant emphasis on student learning by doing. It adopts a practical, hands-on, approach to learning, where all modules are fully assessed using continuous assessment methods.
Further course information here
The aim of this programme is to produce expert AI developers. Successful completion of the programme will equip these graduates with the desired skills and provide them with the following benefits:
- Ability to deal with technically complex problems
- Support in making strategically important decisions within their profession
- Gain a qualification that is in high demand in the market place
- Attain expertise to carry out AI research in academic and R&D environments
- Provide intelligent solutions to IT problems in companies and organisations
- Pursue doctoral studies within the domain of AI and ML in MTU
The programme contains challenging and interesting modules delivered by lecturers who are experts in AI. Students will also be presented with opportunities to work on modern research case studies linked to the domain expertise of staff in the department. The programme places signifcant emphasis on student learning by doing. It adopts a practical, hands-on, approach to learning, where all modules are fully assessed using continuous assessment methods.
There are no formal end of semester written examinations and this ensures that students will learn by doing from the first module to the last. This 60 credit programme is delivered over two 30 credit semesters. Each semester has a number of mandatory modules and a choice of electives (all electives may not be offered). Please click here or the programme schedule button for full module details.
How to prepare for this programme
This master's degree is a technical programme that assumes you have a competency in programming and a strong grasp of a range of mathematical concepts across areas such as statistics, probability and linear algebra. It is critically important that you have this necessary skillset to help you succeed in your study. In order to focus your preparation for this programme we have made available this resources page. This page contains links to online resources that will allow you to bring your knowledge up the necessary standard.
Python is the primary programming language for the programme. We will assume that all incoming students are able to program proficiently and solve problems using Python, NumPy and Pandas. You will notice that the first two sections in the resources page are focused on these topics. These are most important prerequisite topics and you should have a strong competency in these areas before you commence study.
We will also assume that you have an understanding of basic data analysis techniques and linear algebra. The third section of the resources page contains links relevant to these topics. Finally one of the modules, Decision Analytics, requires the use of C++. The final section in the resources page provides a number of relevant resources that will help you to come up to speed in this topic.
- Online application is open for the part-time mode delivery beginning in September 2021.
- Please note that you are applying for the online version of this programme.
- The MTU online application system will open in a new window and this will allow you to enter details of your application for this programme. Fields marked with a red asterisk are required fields and need to be completed. You can use the supporting documentation section to add scanned copies of transcripts, your CV, or any other relevant documentation. Please study the entry requirements for this programme and ensure that you've supplied all information that's relevant to your application.
- Please note that applicants will be required to pay an acceptance fee of €500 online if a place on a course is offered. This fee is deductible from the overall course fee.
- Please attach and upload any documents such as transcripts, CV, other details relevant to the application.
- Delivery of this programme is subject to sufficient number of applicants. Eligible candidates will be considered on a first come first served basis.