Field of Study
Type of Course:
Type of Qualification:
Type of Study:
Application Closing Date:
28th August 2020 through Springboard+
Leaving Certificate with 5 passes or QQI Level 5. Mature learners will be invited for interview.
Tourism & Hospitality
Duration & Delivery
This programme runs on Wednesday & Thursday, 9am to 6pm (September to December & February to May). Students are required to do 400 hours of work experience. Students will be assisted in finding work experience by a CIT academic member of staff.
The aim of this programme is to provide learners with the knowledge, skills and competence necessary for a career in a professional cookery environment. This will be achieved by providing learners with the essential practical skills and knowledge required of modern day professionals working in kitchen environments.
This one year part-time programme combines college based education in culinary operations with work based learning in industry. The primary focus of the programme is to prepare graduates for a variety of roles in food preparation in food retail outlets including delicatessens, gastro pubs, catering outlets and restaurant.
On successful completion of this programme students will have the ability to
- Describe the organisation, marketing, costing and control elements of running a professional kitchen
- Apply scientific principles, technologies and systems to operating a professional kitchen
- Manage the implementation of food control, food cost, portion and quality control in a professional kitchen
- Demonstrate a wide range of precision technical culinary skills to produce a variety of classical and contemporary dishes
- Apply and adapt nutritional knowledge to creative food production and menu planning
- Analyse appropriate styles of food and beverage service
- Explain the role of gastronomy in the development of culinary arts
- Operate computer software and systems relevant to the culinary arts
- Evaluate a range of knowledge, skills and competence to design, organise, serve and evaluate a meal experience.
- Apply relevant provisions of legislation and regulation relevant to the hospitality business, including health and safety at work legislation, food safety legislation, and the principles of Hazard Analysis and Critical Control Points (HACCP).
- Identify key academic and independent learning skills appropriate to the hospitality industry.
Certificate in Culinary Skills (60 ECTS, Level 6 on the National Framework of Qualifications).
- This 60 ECTS Special Purpose Award is offered through Springboard+
- Online application is open for the Employed, Unemployed, and Returners who meet the eligibility criteria at the time of course commencement.
- Visit: Am I Eligible For a Springboard+ Course? at https://springboardcourses.ie/eligibility
- Places are limited for this course. Eligible candidates will be considered on a first come first served basis. Once the course is full, online applications will close for the course.
- If you are eligible for Springboard funding please apply at the following link https://springboardcourses.ie/details/8180