Field of Study
Type of Course:
Type of Qualification:
Type of Study:
Application Closing Date:
This is a part-time course that will be delivered with a blended learning approach. This course will take place during the day for approximately 16 hours per week (over 2 days). Mandatory induction/training will take place on week commencing 13th September. Formal classes will commence on the 22nd of September 2021. This programme runs on Wednesday & Thursday, 9am to 6pm (September to December & February to May) Students are required to do 400 hours of work experience. Students will be assisted in finding work experience by an academic member of staff.
The minimum entry requirements for the Certificate in Culinary Skills is five passes in the Leaving Certificate or QQI Level 5. Mature Learners will be invited for interview.
You must register with Springboard https://springboardcourses.ie/ and apply for Certificate in Culinary Skills course. Once your application on the Springboard website has been accepted, MTU Admissions office will be in contact with you to complete your registration.
Tourism & Hospitality
This proposal is a consortium proposal led by LYIT, in conjunction with Athlone IT, MTU, Dundalk IT, Galway/Mayo IT, Limerick IT, MTU Kerry and Waterford IT.
The aim of this programme is to provide learners with the knowledge, skills and competence necessary for a career in a professional cookery environment. This will be achieved by providing learners with the essential practical skills and knowledge required of modern day professionals working in kitchen environments.
This one-year part-time programme combines college-based education in culinary operations with work-based learning in industry. The primary focus of the programme is to prepare graduates for a variety of roles in food preparation in food retail outlets including delicatessens, gastro pubs, catering outlets and restaurants.
After completion learners will have the ability to:
- Describe the organisation, marketing, costing and control elements of running a professional kitchen
- Apply scientific principles, technologies and systems to operating a professional kitchen
- Manage the implementation of food control, food cost, portion and quality control in a professional kitchen
- Demonstrate a wide range of precision technical culinary skills to produce a variety of classical and contemporary dishes
- Apply and adapt nutritional knowledge to creative food production and menu planning
- Analyse appropriate styles of food and beverage service
- Explain the role of gastronomy in the development of culinary arts
- Operate computer software and systems relevant to the culinary arts
- Evaluate a range of knowledge, skills and competence to design, organise, serve and evaluate a meal experience.
- Apply relevant provisions of legislation and regulation relevant to the hospitality business, including health and safety at work legislation, food safety legislation and the principles of Hazard Analysis and Critical Control Points (HACCP).
- Identify key academic and independent learning skills
Certificate in Culinary Skills (60 ECTs credits, Level 6 on the National Framework of Qualifications.
Springboard+ courses are free for people who are unemployed, those who were previously self-employed and returners to the workforce. Courses at NFQ Level 6 are also free for those in employment.
For employed participants on courses NFQ level 7 – 9, 90% of the course fee is funded by the Government, with participants required to contribute just 10% of the fee.
- This course is Springboard funded – apply via springboard https://springboardcourses.ie/9349
- This course open to all applicants; Employed, Unemployed, and Returners who meet the eligibility criteria at the time of course commencement.
- Documentation supporting applicant’s status will be required as part of the application process.
- Further proof confirming an applicant’s continued eligibility will also be required at the time of course commencement.
- This course is Springboard+ funded. Check availability and visit: Am I Eligible For a Springboard+ Course?
- The dedicated Springboard freephone helpline is available for further advice and information – 1800 303 523.