Introduction to PLC Based Automation
Field of Study
Applied Physics and Instrumentation
Type of Course:
Special Purpose Award
Type of Qualification:
Special Purpose Award
Type of Study:
Part time,Online or On Campus
Application Closing Date:
6th February 2022
Target learners on this programme will include those who wish to reactivate their career to upskill and reskill or cross-skill from non-related disciplines as well as upskilling those already in employment in related industrial sectors.
While there will not be a specific qualification requirement, there is an expectation that candidates will have obtained a minimum of junior cert level (NFQ-QQI level 3) and experience in related industrial sectors would be beneficial for the student. Applicants will be assessed individually on a case by case basis.
All part-time programmes at MTU will run subject to sufficient student numbers. Where a programme cannot proceed, applicants will be contacted and advised on alternative study options.
Students should note that fees quoted relate to the academic year 2021-2022 only and are subject to change on an annual basis. Except where stated, course fees cover the cost of tuition only.
Students will be notified of their fees by e-mail to their MTU e-mail account and in all cases, course fees must be paid before attending lectures. For more information on fees, please visit fees/students
Course fee - €325 per 5 ECTS credit module
This part time special purpose award (SPA) of 20 ECTS credits is designed to meet the industry skills shortage in the area of PLC based automation. The SPA is designed to provide the fundamental skills required by a learner and thus provides an opportunity for
- companies to sponsor their employees whilst they upskill. or
- allow people who are currently unemployed due to the current Covid-19 pandemic to reactivate their career to upskill, reskill and cross-skill from non-related disciplines
Duration & Delivery
1 Academic Year over 2 Semesters
Part time blended learning i.e. online theory and on campus practical work.
|Semester 1 (Sept - Dec)||Semester 2 (Jan - May)|
Mon PHYS6052 Intro PLC Digital Automation
Mon PHYS6055 Intro PLC SCADA
On successful completion of this course graduates will be eligible to continue their studies on
- the Level 6 120 ECTS credit Higher Certificate in Science in Industrial Measurement & Control
- The Level 7 20 ECTS credit Special Purpose Award Certificate in PLC Based Automation Systems.
Certificate in Introduction to PLC Based Automation (level 6, 20 ECTS credits on the National Framework of Qualifications
- Online application is open for course commencing 24 January 2022.
- Please note that applicants will be required to pay an acceptance fee of €325 online if a place on a course is offered. This fee is deductible from the overall course fee.
- Note: You will not be charged for applying for the programme by clicking the 'apply now' button, you are only asked to pay an acceptance fee if a place is offered to you and you wish to accept it.
- Please attach and upload any documents such as transcripts, CV, other details relevant to the application.