Art and Design Education (MA) (Taught)
Field of Study
Type of Course:
Type of Qualification:
Type of Study:
Application Closing Date:
31st August 2016
Eligible applicants are those who hold a Level 8 Honours H2.2 Bachelor Degree in Fine Art or Design (or similar) and either:
- Higher Diploma in Arts for Art and Design Teachers or equivalent i.e. an older qualification or a recognised teaching qualification from another country or
- BA/BEd in Art and Design Education (Level 8) or
- An equivalent qualification in art and design education or
- Applicants who hold a teaching qualification in subjects other than art and design may also be considered.
- Applicants who hold a Level 8 award at pass level or a Level 7 award (or equivalent) may be considered on the basis of significant relevant experience.
Department(s): The programme is offered by the Department of Art and Design Education based at CIT Crawford College of Art & Design and offers a flexible and accessible framework and delivery. The Department of Art & Design Education has a long history of teacher education. It presently offers the Higher Diploma in Arts for Art & Design Teachers. This is a one year postgraduate professional training programme.
Location: CIT Crawford College of Art & Design
Further Studies: Doctor of Philosophy (PhD)
ECTS Credits: 90
Art & Design Education
CIT CCAD Website:
Course Structure Part Time:
No. of semesters: 5
No. of weeks per semester: 12
No. of timetable hours week: 6 – 8
Assessment: Continuous assessment
Course Fee: EU Applicants: €4,500
This innovative programme offers the specific award of Master of Arts in Art and Design Education. The programme is aimed at art educators working within a wide range of educational sectors who are interested in further developing their knowledge and skills in the area of visual arts education. This includes those working in the secondary and further education sectors as well as those in community and other non-compulsory sectors of education where art is a prominent feature.
The programme is offered by the Department of Art and Design Education based at CIT Crawford College of Art and Design and offers a flexible and accessible framework and delivery. The programme is offered on a full-time or part-time basis subject to applicants’ needs and module demand.
The programme offers modules that will collectively explore the relevance of the visual arts, primarily, in the education of adolescents and adult learners. It exposes students to the crucial factors that impact on these processes.
It is designed to provide students with a wide range of theoretical and practical insights into how individuals learn through art and design.
The programme is delivered through a flexible framework of formal lectures, tutorials and practical art and craft workshops. It offers students the opportunity to further develop their knowledge and skills in art and design teaching to meet curriculum requirements or to develop effective teaching programmes in more informal educational settings.
The programme content provides the following themes of study:
- Educational Policy and the arts in education
- Curriculum development and evaluation for art and design
- Visual Arts Practice, traditional and technological
- Aesthetics and Art Criticism
- Art Therapy
- Inclusive and Special Needs Education through Visual Arts
- Research Methodologies
This programme is aimed specifically at:
- Art and design educators at second-level, both experienced or newly qualified, who wish to further develop expertise in teaching art and design and who wish to advance their qualifications to MA Level.
- Art and design educators within the further education sector, both experienced or newly qualified, who wish to further develop expertise in teaching art and design and who wish to advance their qualifications to MA Level
- Community professionals with suitable qualifications with similar aspirations with regard to teaching visual arts.
- Those involved in other specific education programmes.
- The programme is aimed at art educators working within a wide range of educational sectors.
Students will be expected to complete six taught modules and the dissertation to gain the required 90 credits.
For detailed information about the modules please click Masters of Arts in Art and Design Education
- Applications are now open online for September 2016.
- Please note that applicants will be required to pay an acceptance fee of €450 online if a place on a course is offered. This fee is deductible from the overall course fee.
- Please attach and upload any documents such as transcripts, CV, other details relevant to the application.