Counselling Skills (Certificate One Year)
Field of Study
Type of Course:
Type of Qualification:
Type of Study:
Application Closing Date:
7th May 2021
Applicants for 2021/2022 must:
- Be over 25 years of age at the date of registration
- Be assessed through interview
Submit two references
The referees should be people who have known you for some substantial time, who are not related to you, and who are in a position to comment objectively on your readiness for the course.
Please download a copy of the of the Reference Form – One Year Certificate in Counselling Skills and forward it to each referee for completion.
References should be completed and returned confidentially by the referees. The referees must email the form to rae.brady @cit.ie by 7th May 2021.
It is the applicant’s responsibility to ensure that the references have been submitted by the closing date.
An interview will take place (either in person or online) during the first week in June 2021.
Due to the personal and experiential nature of the course, it is generally not possible to have staff or students with significant existing personal or professional relationships in the same course group. Where possible, every effort is made to overcome this difficulty by placing them in separate groups. Oftentimes this solution is not possible and in these instances, the dual relationship may prevent the applicant from being offered a place on the course at that time.
Applied Social Studies
Course Fee for the academic year 2021/2022: €2,000
The Bachelor of Arts (Honours) in Counselling & Psychotherapy is a four year course comprising the following:
Year 1: The One Year Certificate in Counselling Skills
Year 2: The Higher Certificate in Arts in Counselling Skills
Year 3 and Year 4: Bachelor of Arts (Hons.) in Counselling & Psychotherapy
→ Please click here for information on the Higher Certificate in Arts in Counselling Skills
→ Please click here for information on the Bachelor of Arts (Honours) in Counselling & Psychotherapy
This course aims to meet the needs of people who require an introductory training in counselling for use in their existing work or life situations. Additionally, the course aims to provide a foundational introduction for those students who wish to pursue further training in counselling.
The course is offered on a part-time basis for the duration of the academic year as follows:
- Theory and Application – one evening per week - 6.30pm - 9.30pm.
- Counselling Skills Workshops - one additional evening every three to four weeks 6.30pm - 9.30pm.
- Experiential Group Process: Ten Saturdays (10am to 5pm) OR a combination of Saturdays and evenings (6.30pm to 9.30pm) OR a Friday afternoon/evening spread throughout the year. Dates for these are arranged when the course begins.
The course is offered over two semesters from September to May. Each semester has 5 modules. The following are the key components of course content:
1 Counselling Theory
- Introduction to mindfulness
- Person centred counselling theory
- Person centred counselling application
- Family systems theory
- Family systems application
- Introduction to developmental theory
- Change and loss
2 Counselling Skills
- The core skills of counselling – theory and practice
- Forming a helping relationship
- Counselling skills practice, review and feedback
- Counselling skills application
3 Experiential Group Process
The purpose of the Experiential Group Process module is to provide the students with a facilitated group experience through which they will have the opportunity to develop personal process competencies which are necessary for their development as counselling trainees.
Attendance at all sessions is a requirement.
Students are required to undertake a minimum of twenty sessions of personal therapy during the One-year Certificate Course. The cost of this is separate to the course and is arranged directly between the student and the therapist.
This course does not provide a professional qualification in counselling and does not qualify the holder to practice as a professional counsellor.
Please click here for detailed module information.
The One Year Certificate in Counselling Skills is awarded by Munster Technological University on the basis of satisfactory attendance as well as the submission of written work and the satisfactory completion of practical and experiential assignments. The certificate recognises that the student has successfully completed an introductory training in counselling skills which should enable them to practice basic counselling skills within their existing role.
It is not a professional qualification in counselling and does not qualify the holder to practice as a professional counsellor.
Please click here for information on the Higher Certificate in Arts in Counselling Skills
Please click here for information on the Bachelor of Arts (Hons.) in Counselling & Psychotherapy
- The online application system will open Monday 8th February.
- Applicants will be required to pay an acceptance fee of €500 online if a place on a course is offered. This fee is deductible from the overall course fee. Note: You will not be charged for applying for the programme by clicking the 'apply online' button, you are only asked to pay an acceptance fee if a place is offered to you and you wish to accept it.
- Please download and complete this Supplementary Information Form – One Year Certificate in Counselling Skills
When completed, save the form and then upload it to the section entitled “Supporting Documentation” in your online application
Do not upload any other supporting documentation at this stage.
Your application will not be processed unless this form – Supplementary Information Form – One Year Certificate in Counselling Skills – is completed and uploaded to your online application.
- Two references are also required. The reference forms must be downloaded and forwarded to each referee. Upon completion they should be returned by the referee by emailing email@example.com no later than the closing date (7th May 2021). You can download the Reference Form – One Year Certificate in Counselling Skills by clicking the 'Overview Tab' above.
- Applicants will be required to attend for interview during the first week in June 2021.
1. Completed the online application
2. Uploaded the Supplementary Information Form – One Year Certificate in Counselling Skills to the online application in the section entitled “Supporting Documentation”.
At this time, do not upload any other forms, certificates, transcripts, documents supporting educational history, CV/Resumé or visa documentation, etc.
3. Downloaded and forwarded the Reference Form – One Year Certificate in Counselling Skills to two referees.