Arts and Engagement
Field of Study
Type of Course:
Type of Qualification:
Type of Study:
Application Closing Date:
31st August 2022
The course will run part-time, one day a week over two years. Electives are timetabled in 2-day blocks once a month. Successful applicants who have completed the Certificate in Principles of Art Therapy can chose to be exempted from the year one elective. Successful applicants who have completed the Certificate in Creativity & Change can chose to be exempted from the year two elective.
The MA in Arts & Engagement welcomes applicants from a range of backgrounds who are interested in:
- Developing their own arts practice in relation to others
- Developing arts-based processes to incorporate into existing work place
- Developing arts engagement facilitation skills
Applicants normally require
- An Honours degree, or equivalent, in Visual Art/Theatre/Music or a relevant area, with a minimum of an Honours 2.2 (or equivalent) are eligible to apply for the programme. Where graduate qualifications are not in the Visual Arts, for example, Community Development, Social Work or Teaching, evidence of a developing body of current and recent art work is essential
- In certain circumstances mature applicants with professional experience will be considered for eligibility through recognition of prior and experiential learning. For more information, please click here
Arts in Health and Education
Course location: MTU Crawford College of Art & Design - Dept of Arts in Health & Education
Duration: Part time over two years (1 day a week + 2-day block monthly for elective module)
Course Fee: EU Applicants: €6,000
This Masters programme builds on a number of existing Special Purpose Awards all centred on learning through expressive meaning-making: Arts-based facilitation training, creativity and change-making and art therapy. These programmes educate through and activate different modes of communication, promote learning through experiential and reflective practice, and engage with other perspectives and diverse intelligences.
Participants on the Masters will develop an understanding of the role of the arts within learning and engagement and will develop the skills to apply this to a range of contexts. Core modules over the two-year programme relate to the arts in engaged practices which recognise neurodiversity, equality, social justice, power and autonomy. Through research, reflection, group and practical work participants will explore different ways of learning, investigating the transformational power of the arts in personal and societal activation or regulation through a broad scope of contemporary methodologies.
Through elective modules in year one, opportunities will be provided to broaden skill sets through Socially Engaged Theatre, Eco-Arts Practice or Art Therapy. In the second year, opportunity will be given for students to develop their ongoing arts practice informed by, and in relation to, one of two strands of engagement – Health & Wellbeing or Global Citizenship.
Master of Arts in Arts & Engagement (Level 9, 90 ECTS on the National Framework of Qualifications.
MTU CCAD has developed a website which gives full details of all modules for all courses. The website also has information on recommended textbooks, average weekly workload, assessments, and exams.
- Arts in Health programmes
- Outreach Education programmes
- Artist Engaged in Community Issues
- Professional Artist
- Gallery/Museum Education
- Youth work
- Community Education
- Second Chance Learning
- Community Development Officer
- Online application will open on 17 January for course commencing 13 September 2022.
- Please note that applicants will be required to pay an acceptance fee of €500 online if a place on a course is offered. This fee is deductible from the overall course fee.
- Note: You will not be charged for applying for the programme by clicking the 'apply now' button, you are only asked to pay an acceptance fee if a place is offered to you, and you wish to accept it.
- Please upload a CV and a 'Reasons for Applying' statement to the additional information section on the Online Application Form'.