Digital Marketing (Certificate 20 Credits)
Field of Study
Type of Course:
Type of Qualification:
LEVEL 8 Special Purpose Award
Type of Study:
Online or On Campus
Application Closing Date:
Sunday 19th September 2021
Marketing and International Business
Course Fee €1,500
Delivery - Online and On Campus
This course is available via two delivery methods – online and on campus. Both commence in September for a 15 week period (with a second intake likely in January).
The online version is delivered over 3 weekday evenings per week, while the on campus version takes place at the Bishopstown campus on Tuesday evenings and an additional 3 ½ Saturdays.
IMPORTANT: For September 2021, the decision on whether the on campus version will run will depend upon the number of applications and prevailing public health conditions. If you are accepted onto the on campus mode of study and this mode of the course does not run, you will be offered the chance to move to the online course, defer until a later date, or withdraw and receive a refund.
The Certificate in Digital Marketing is an intensive one semester part-time programme entailing lab work, seminars, and live-case work that is designed to provide the knowledge, skills and confidence required to successfully market business in a digital environment. The programme uses an innovative blend of real-world situations and problems to assist participants in exploring the opportunities of the digital environment.
The industry focus of the programme coupled with the applied nature of teaching provides a practical bedrock of knowledge and experience which can be used to immediate effect in a multitude of business contexts. Participants will explore various social media platforms, website technologies (including mobile), analysis tools and much more in developing a toolbox of skills that is valuable and readily usable in a B2C and B2B environment.
The programme is structured to ensure that participant’s time is used wisely and entails a variety of speakers drawn from the business world.
A key tenet of this course is Authentic Assessment, and over 80% of marks for assignments are based around tasks that Digital Marketing Managers might be expected to perform.
Online: Participants attend all classes online. Webcam and microphone are required and attendees are expected to attend all sessions ‘live’. Three sessions of 2 hours a week during weekdays over one semester, i.e. Monday, Tuesday, and Thursday.
On Campus: Participants attend all classes at the MTU Bishopstown campus, Cork. Tuesday night sessions will run from 6:30pm to 9:30pm. The dates for Saturday sessions will be confirmed in mid-September.
The programme has been developed to ensure that participants are developing sustainable skills and knowledge that underpin digital marketing. Specifically, the programme aims:
- To develop knowledge of digital marketing tools and technologies in the context of the strategic direction of a business.
- To integrate traditional marketing principles into marketing activity in online environments.
- To apply practical skills to web design to ensure optimised web/mobile platforms using SEO and content management strategies.
Detailed module information is available here
- Digital Marketing Environment – This module explores the current marketing landscape with emphasis on the challenges posed by the digital context in which many businesses are now operating. This module is delivered using workshops and seminars.
- Digital Advertising and Social Media – This practical lab based module will enable students to formulate an integrated digital marketing communications campaign. Students will also learn how to leverage a company's presence on social media platforms to generate more connections and build relationships with customers.
- Website Optimisation and Analytics – Many businesses are using inefficient and outdated websites that perform poorly in terms of search engine optimisation. This module will focus on the development of websites using existing technologies such as Wordpress and similar content management systems. Participants will explore how to integrate add-ons such as PayPal and social media content with a view to optimising the website from a usability search engine optimisation perspective.
- Applied Digital Marketing Strategy – This module acts as a capstone on the certificate and draws together learning from the above areas with a particular focus on developing a strategic context for content, technology and alternative platforms.
The Certificate in Digital Marketing is part of the Master of Science in Digital Marketing Strategy. Completion of this programme may, dependent upon prior experience and education, allow entry to Semester 2 of that Masters programme.
- Online application is open for course commencing 20th September 2021.
- Please note that applicants will be required to pay an acceptance fee of €250 online if a place on a course is offered. This fee is deductible from the overall course fee.
- Note: You will not be charged for applying for the programme by clicking the 'apply now' button, you are only asked to pay an acceptance fee if a place is offered to you, and you wish to accept it.
Delivery mode: online
Delivery mode: on-campus