Certificate in Leadership Development
Field of Study
Type of Course:
Type of Qualification:
Special Purpose Award
Type of Study:
Application Closing Date:
20th September 2021
Online - One evening per week, 6pm-9pm, and seven Saturdays.
Applicants will be expected to have a Level 8 degree in a technical, non-business discipline.
Organisation and Professional Development
All part-time programmes at MTUwill run subject to sufficient student numbers. Where a programme cannot proceed, applicants will be contacted and advised on alternative study options.
Students should note that Fees quoted relate to the academic year 2021-2022 only and are subject to change on an annual basis. Except where stated, course fees cover the cost of tuition only.
For more information on Fees, please visit fees/students
Course Fee €2,500
The Certificate in Leadership Development is a one semester (six months) part-time programme that is designed to provide the knowledge, skills and confidence required to successfully manage teams in a manufacturing environment. The programme uses an innovative blend of real-world situations and problems to assist participants in exploring the opportunities of the manufacturing environment. The industry-focus of the programme coupled with the applied nature of teaching provides a practical bedrock of knowledge and experience which can be used to immediate effect in a multitude of business contexts. Participants will explore various theories and concepts that will develop their skills and competencies, in an applied context, developing a toolbox of skills that is valuable and readily usable and which will lead to improved team performance in a working environment.
The programme is structured to ensure that participant’s time is used wisely and entails a wide variety of leadership development tools. A phased approach, consisting of a series of lectures, facilitated workshops and work-related projects will be used to ensure that the programme is relevant, engaging and enjoyable.
Teaching Methods and Learning Support
The teaching methods that will be employed on the Certificate in Leadership Development will be intensively interactive, with an action-learning focus and use of live case studies and workplace problems. Rather than an exclusively lecture-style approach, the emphasis in class will be on lecturer-led group discussion and class debate, which will draw upon the experiences of learners to illustrate key learning points and to bring concepts, theories and frameworks to life.
The live case study method will be a consistent feature throughout the programme. This practical, applied approach to teaching methodology will be underpinned by assessment instruments, and the practical application of best-practice theory to analyse the environment in which the learners work.
Please note that this programme is delivered entirely online.
The programme will be overseen by Don Crowley, Head of Department, who has ultimate academic responsibility and oversight of the programme.
One of the benefits of undertaking the MTU Special Purpose Award, Certificate in Leadership Development, is that learners become alumni of MTU Cork and, as registered students of MTU, will have access to the MTU library, including access to thousands of academic and trade journals, during their studies.
Learners will also have access to the online Blackboard learning management system. Blackboard will be useful for learners in several ways
- To access course documentation such as course outlines, handouts and slide decks,
- Lecturers will post links to helpful websites,
- Blackboard can be used to set up online workgroups with other course participants,
- Assignments are submitted and feedback is delivered via Blackboard.
On successful completion of the three modules, graduates will receive a Special Purpose Award – Certificate in Leadership Development (Level 8, 15 ECTs on the National Framework of Qualifications).
MTU has developed a website which gives full details of all modules for all courses. The website also has information on recommended textbooks, average weekly workload, assessments, and exams.
Please click here for module information.
Three modules, each at 5 ECTS, Level 8 Special Purpose Award – Certificate in Leadership Development
- Effective Leadership – This module explores leadership styles, motivation, change management, communication and impact.
- Driving Team Performance – This module considers project management, problem solving and performance management. The module will include the use of live case studies from the employer sponsor.
- Leadership Development – leadership principles, developing high-performance teams, coaching and mentoring, and employee legislation will be considered in the context of this module.
The programme will make extensive use of reflective logs, together with a cross-modular project, report and presentation, in teams. Learners will build on their experience and learning gained on the programme, to develop their leadership style and hone techniques and skills that will inform their best-practice application.
- Online application is open for course commencing 23rd September 2021.
- Please note that applicants will be required to pay an acceptance fee of €500 online if a place on a course is offered. This fee is deductible from the overall course fee.
- Note: You will not be charged for applying for the programme by clicking the 'apply now' button, you are only asked to pay an acceptance fee if a place is offered to you and you wish to accept it.