Digital Land Surveying & GPS (Certificate)
Field of Study
Civil & Structural Engineering
Type of Course:
Type of Qualification:
Type of Study:
Application Closing Date:
This is a short CPD course for those who have certified competence in Practical Land Surveying. It is particularly suited to construction personnel who are involved with the organisation of surveying and setting out on construction sites.
Civil, Structural & Environmental Engineering
All part-time programmes at MTU Cork will run subject to sufficient student numbers. Where a programme cannot proceed, applicants will be contacted and advised on alternative study options.
Students should note that Fees quoted relate to the academic year 2021-2022 only and are subject to change on an annual basis. Except where stated, course fees cover the cost of tuition only.
Course fees must be paid before attending lectures.
For more information on Fees, please visit fees/students.
Department website: www.cit.ie/cse
Applicants may also be interested in the Practical Land Surveying short course which occurs in the autumn each year).
Duration & Delivery
The course is typically offered over a number of days, including Saturdays. Exact dates and timetable arrangements are available on the programme webpage. Typically, the hours may be 6pm - 9pm Friday evenings and 9am – 4pm Saturdays for a total of four weekends. Information updates may be obtained by contacting the Department of Civil, Structural & Environmental Engineering.
Having completed this module, an individual would expect to be able to:
- establish survey control of determined accuracy using GPS equipment and OSI reference
- compute setting out data from survey and design information
- manipulate field survey data and incorporate design data using specialised software
- critically evaluate the use of advanced positioning instrumentation for setting out
Single Module Certification (5 ECTS credits at Level 7 on the National Framework of Qualifications)
The course is based on the Module Descriptor CIVL7005 Digital Land Surveying and GPS. The full Module Descriptor may be viewed here
Coordinate systems: Irish National Grid, Irish Transverse Mercator. Heights & Elevations, Geoid Models, Site Adjustments. OSI services.
Global Positioning Systems
Fundamentals of operation for surveying. Correction and sources of error. Radio regulations. Real time kinematic (RTK), Static and Faststatic operation. Field techniques, RTK and Setting Out.
Data capture. Setup data. Feature codes, strings and digital ground modelling. Software and hardware requirements. Data formats. Software systems. Data transfer, Real time and Post processing systems. Adjustments, data export and reports.
Principles of setting out. Coordinate positioning, total stations and GPS, Controlling verticality, Laser instruments, Machine Control, Quality assurance and accuracy.
- Applications is currently closed.
- Delivery of this programme is subject to sufficient number of applicants. Eligible candidates will be considered on a first come first served basis.
- Please note that applicants will be required to the course fee of €650 online if a place on a course is offered. You will not be charged for applying for the programme by clicking the 'apply now' button, you are only asked to pay the course fee if a place is offered to you and you wish to accept it.
- Please attach and upload any documents such as transcripts, CV, other details relevant to the application.