Mechanical, Electrical and Plumbing – BIM Applications
Field of Study
Type of Course:
Single Module Course
Type of Qualification:
Single Module Course
Type of Study:
Application Closing Date:
8th January 2022
Semester 2, 2 nights per week for 13 weeks.
Applicants should have a minimum of a Level 6 qualification (or equivalent) in an engineering discipline such as mechanical, electrical or building services engineering.
This programme aimed at those who wish to enhance their 3D drawing and design skills in order to operate within a Building Information Management (BIM) regulated environment. It is suitable for those employed or seeking employment with design consultants or engineering/facilities departments within the pharmaceutical, biopharmaceutical, medical device, food manufacturing and water treatment sectors. The programme has been specifically designed in response to industry needs for upskilling as identified by the South West Regional Skills Forum (SWRSF). The SWRSF (made up of manufacturing, mechanical and MEP consultancy companies) has identified BIM and Revit as two of their top three priority areas for upskilling.
Mechanical, Biomedical & Manufacturing Eng
This is a part time course which will be delivered two nights a week for 13 weeks. Depending on COVID-19 and Government Health guidelines, the course may be delivered online.
Participants will be provided with the skills necessary to contribute effectively through the use of BIM related software applications, specifically Autodesk Revit for Mechanical, Electrical and Plumbing (MEP), in conjunction with a specialised module dedicated to piping design.
Students will develop the ability to use modern computer-based engineering tools to solve well defined building services design problems and communicate effectively with the engineering community. They will learn to create and place equipment, route and coordinate pipework, add electrical components and use P&ID data all within a multidiscipline 3D environment. The programme will also incorporate the use of Piping Standards (BS, DIN, ANSI, etc.) and engineering symbols standards.
Special Purpose Award - 15 ECTS Credits at Level 7 on the National Framework of Qualifications, awarded by MTU Cork.
Each module is worth 5ECTS credits
- Revit Introduction – introduction to the BIM environment
- Revit-MEP – multidisciplinary services design
- 3D Piping Design – Detailed piping design in a virtual environment
Specific content includes
- Intelligent P&ID generation linked to 3D Piping Packages
- 3D Piping and Equipment Modelling
- Estimating pipe sizes and duct sizes using Revit software
- 3D Isometrics and BOM generation
- Utilising Project Browser to generate and manage useful views
- Generating reports and schedules using Revit software
- Online application will open on 12th November 2021 for course commencing 20th January 2022.
- Location: MTU, Bishopstown Campus Cork.
- Course fee is €1,950. Please note that applicants will be required to pay an acceptance fee of €250 online if a place on a course is offered. This fee is deductible from the overall course fee. You will not be charged for applying for the programme by clicking the 'apply online' button, you are only asked to pay an acceptance fee if a place is offered to you and you wish to accept it.