Mechanical, Electrical and Plumbing – BIM Applications (Certificate)
Field of Study
Type of Course:
Type of Qualification:
Type of Study:
Application Closing Date:
16th September 2019
September – May, one evening per week.
Applicants should have a minimum of a Level 6 qualification (or equivalent) in an engineering discipline such as mechanical, electrical or building services engineering.
Equivalent recognition may be given through the Recognition of Prior Learning (RPL) process on an individual case-by-case basis to candidates who have not achieved this academic standard but who can demonstrate significant relevant professional experience in the Built Environment discipline, visit www.cit.ie/rpl.
This programme aimed at those who wish to enhance their 3D drawing and design skills in order to operate within a Building Information Management (BIM) regulated environment. It is suitable for those employed or seeking employment with design consultants or engineering/facilities departments within the pharmaceutical, biopharmaceutical, medical device, food manufacturing and water treatment sectors. The programme has been specifically designed in response to industry needs for upskilling as identified by the South West Regional Skills Forum (SWRSF). The SWRSF (made up of manufacturing, mechanical and MEP consultancy companies) has identified BIM and Revit as two of their top three priority areas for upskilling.
Mechanical, Biomedical & Manufacturing Eng
All part-time programmes at CIT will run subject to sufficient student numbers. Where a programme cannot proceed, applicants will be contacted and advised on alternative study options.
An Information session will take place on Wednesday 4th September 2019 from 5.30pm to 7.00pm at the CIT Bishopstown Campus. Institute staff will be in attendance to offer career guidance and assistance.
Students should note that Fees quoted relate to the academic year 2019-2020 only and are subject to change on an annual basis. Except where stated, course fees cover the cost of tuition only.
Course fees must be paid before attending lectures.
For more information on Fees, please visit fees/students
Course Fee €1,950
Participants will be provided with the skills necessary to contribute effectively through the use of BIM related software applications, specifically Autodesk Revit for Mechanical, Electrical and Plumbing (MEP), in conjunction with a specialised module dedicated to piping design.
Students will develop the ability to use modern computer-based engineering tools to solve well defined building services design problems and communicate effectively with the engineering community. They will learn to create and place equipment, route and coordinate pipework, add electrical components and use P&ID data all within a multidiscipline 3D environment. The programme will also incorporate the use of Piping Standards (BS, DIN, ANSI, etc.) and engineering symbols standards.
Special Purpose Award - 15 ECTS Credits at Level 7 on the National Framework of Qualifications, awarded by Cork Institute of Technology.
Each module is worth 5ECTS credits
- Revit Introduction – introduction to the BIM environment
- Revit-MEP – multidisciplinary services design
- 3D Piping Design – Detailed piping design in a virtual environment
Specific content includes
- Intelligent P&ID generation linked to 3D Piping Packages
- 3D Piping and Equipment Modelling
- Estimating pipe sizes and duct sizes using Revit software
- 3D Isometrics and BOM generation
- Utilising Project Browser to generate and manage useful views
- Generating reports and schedules using Revit software
- Online application is open for course commencing 30th September 2019.
- Please note that applicants will be required to pay an acceptance fee of €250 online if a place on a course is offered. This fee is deductible from the overall course fee. You will not be charged for applying for the programme by clicking the 'apply now' button, you are only asked to pay an acceptance fee if a place is offered to you and you wish to accept it.
- Please attach and upload any documents such as transcripts, CV, other details relevant to the application.