Solar and Geothermal Energy (single module: 5 ECTS Credits)
Field of Study
Mechanical and Manufacturing Engineering
Type of Course:
Type of Qualification:
Type of Study:
Application Closing Date:
Part-time: One evening per week for 12 weeks.
Students are recommended to first complete the Certificate in Sustainable Energy (Special Purpose Award – Level 6).
Places are limited for this course. Eligible candidates will be considered on a first come first served basis.
Mechanical, Biomedical & Manufacturing Eng
Course fee: €850* (includes course notes)
*Discounts available for groups of three or more.
This module includes a study of the energy processes involved in the use of solar and geothermal energy; an evaluation of solar and geothermal heating, daylighting, and solar electricity generating technology.
- Solar Energy - Principles and Solar Heat Transfer
Properties of Radiation, Solar Radiation, Electromagnetic Spectrum, Radiation properties of Materials, Radiative Heat Transfer, Passive Solar Applications.
- Solar Thermal Technologies
Solar Thermal Collectors, Flat Plates, ETCs, Concentrators (CSP), Performance, Energy Balance, Materials
- Solar Photovoltaics
Photovoltaic Effect, Materials, Cell Types, Cell Performance, Module Properties, Fabrication, Siting Issues, Power Output and Integration, EIA
- Geothermal Energy
Heat Pump Cycles, Refrigerants, pH diagrams, Heat Pump Operation and Equipment, COP, Installation Issues
- Lab Cycle
Solar Thermal, Solar Photovoltaic, Geothermal Energy Equipment Testing, Installation Exercise
CIT: 5 ECTS credits at Level 7 on the National Framework of Qualifications.
- Applications are now open online for September 2014.
- Please note that applicants will be required to pay an acceptance fee of €250 online if a place on a course is offered. This fee is deductible from the overall course fee.
- Please attach and upload any documents such as transcripts, CV, other details relevant to the application.
- While every effort is made to process your application as early as possible, for operational reasons a decision on your application may not be made until September at the latest.
- Should places be still available, late applications may be made at the Information Evening at CIT's Bishopstown Campus from 6.00pm to 8.00pm on Wednesday 3rd September 2014.
- Note: Places are limited for this course. Eligible candidates will be considered on a first come first served basis.