Academic Regulations and Policies
Interpretation of Core Academic Regulations, Policies and Procedures specific to Munster Technological University that previously applied at Cork Institute of Technology
Registrar's Office - MTU Cork
This webpage contains the current core academic regulations, policies and procedures specific to Munster Technological University (‘MTU’) that previously applied at Cork Institute of Technology (CIT) immediately before the establishment of MTU under the Technological Universities Act 2018 (hereafter ‘MTU (Cork) Regulations’).
The MTU (Cork) Regulations apply to the modules and programmes to which they applied immediately before the establishment of MTU, and any students of those modules and programmes are subject to the MTU (Cork) Regulations in respect of the matters covered by those regulations.
This decision has been ratified by MTU Governing Body and the regulations shall remain in place until such time as they are altered by way of amendment or replacement by MTU.
Oversight of MTU (Cork) Regulations and their implementation is provided by the Cork Academic Legacy Committee, a committee of MTU Academic Council. The Cork Academic Legacy Committee is accountable to MTU Academic Council for the responsibilities assigned to it.
Where reference is made in the MTU (Cork) Regulations to Cork Institute of Technology, this should be read as referring to MTU, unless explicitly stated otherwise.
Where reference is made in the MTU (Cork) Regulations to Academic Council, it should be read as referring to the Cork Academic Legacy Committee, unless explicitly stated otherwise.
Where reference is made in the MTU (Cork) Regulations to a particular Office or Post this should be read as referring to the Office or Post that previously applied at Cork Institute of Technology (CIT) immediately before the establishment of MTU on January 1st, 2021.
In the event that there is any doubt, uncertainty, or apparent conflict as to whether a particular regulation, policy or procedure applies in any given case, MTU has determined that any such questions will be resolved by consensus between the two Vice Presidents responsible for academic affairs. Failing such consensus, the President of MTU shall determine the position.
MTU is committed to the highest quality standards, to continuous quality improvement and enhancement and to the creation of a quality culture. The development of an integrated Academic Quality Assurance Framework for the University is being progressed as a matter of high priority.
This section contains the current core academic regulations, policies and procedures of MTU (Cork)
To view these documents you will need a PDF reader or compatible web browser
- Regulations for Postgraduate Research Study, September 2020
- Regulations for Modules and Programmes (Marks and Standards), September 2018
- SUPPLEMENT to Regulations for Modules and Programmes (Marks and Standards) - COVID-19, Version 2.0, December 2020
- Academic Policy and Procedure for Exit and Embedded Awards in CIT Taught Degree Programmes
- Academic Policy on Revocation of CIT Awards
- Academic Policy on the Quality Assurance of Collaborative Programmes and Joint Awards, September 2011
- Handbook for Operation of the Programme Approval Process, Version 1.2, November 2018
- Academic Procedure for the Validation of Special Purpose, Minor and Supplemental Awards, January 2013
- Academic Policy and Procedure for the Annual Programme Status Review, Version 1.2, November 2018
Appendix B to Academic Policy and Procedure for the Annual Programme Status Review, Version 1.2: Sample Programme Status Report (CAO)
- Academic Procedure for Module and Programme Changes, February 2010
- Academic Policy for Admission to NFQ Level 8 Programmes Post Level 7, January 2010
- SUPPLEMENT - Admission to NFQ Level 8 Programmes Post Level 7 - COVID-19, Version 1.2, Apr. 2022
- MTU Recognition of Prior Learning Policy, March 2022
- Code of Conduct for Examination Candidates, Update March 2019
- Academic Policy Governing Academic Honesty, Plagiarism and Infringements, July 2013
- SUPPLEMENT to Acad. Policy Gov. Academic Honesty, Plagiarism and Infringements - COVID-19, May 2020
- Academic Policy Governing Individual Extenuating Circumstances, April 2016
- Academic Procedure for an Inquiry by the Assessment Infringements Board, July 2014
- SUPPLEMENT to Acad. Procedure - Inquiry by Assessm. Infringements Board - Remote Hearing - COVID-19, May 2020
- Academic Policy Governing Assessment Appeals and Errors & Omissions Relating to Assessment, February 2017
- Academic Policy and Procedures Governing the Appointment and Duties of External Examiners, November 2001
- Regulations for PG Research Study - Revised Sept 2020
- MTU Code of Good Practice in Research, March 2022
- MTU Open Access Policy - May 2022
- Student Disciplinary Appeals Procedure, February 2014
- Student Grievance Procedure, September 2014
- Student Fitness to Practice Policy, Version 1.4 (July 2017), with amplified list of programmes as of November 2020
- Student Fitness to Study Policy, July 2017
- Student Mental Health & Wellbeing Policy, July 2018