The School of Mechanical, Electrical & Process Engineering is delighted to announce the 2021 MTU-DePuy Synthes Scholarship. Application for this scholarship is open to any student who has applied through the CAO to study the Honours Degree in Biomedical Engineering (CR520) at MTU Cork. This scholarship is offered in conjunction with DePuy Synthes, Cork, Ireland.
Who are DePuy Synthes?
DePuy Synthes are global leaders in providing healthcare solutions and employ over 5,300 worldwide. Their Irish operation is based in Co. Cork and employs over 600 people. It was established in 1997 to manufacture orthopaedic hips and knees. In early 2008 DePuy Synthes announced its intention to develop next generation orthopaedic products and processes for a global market at its Irish operation with the establishment of an innovation centre.
The Innovation Centre is an important part of DePuy Synthes Ireland’s global strategy and the work of the Cork Centre supports the development of next generation orthopaedic products and operations. People, with PhD, Masters and Bachelor Degrees in Biomedical Engineering, Materials and Quality, are employed in the new purpose-built Innovation Centre and labs.
What is the nature of the Scholarship?
- Funding by DePuy Synthes towards your education each year of your 4 years studying the Honours Degree in Biomedical Engineering (CR520) at MTU - Cork. For the academic year 2021/2022 the scholarship will be €3,000
- Opportunity (although no obligation) for work placement with DePuy Synthes
- No obligation (on either party) post-graduation
What type of student are we looking for?
- Enthusiastic and committed to discipline of study
- Academically ambitious
- Self-motivated with leadership potential
- Capable of innovation
- Well-developed interpersonal skills
What is the Recipient Selection Process?
- On-line application form (Closing date: 14th March 2021)
- Selected students invited for Interview (March/April)
- Final awarding of scholarship will depend on interview performance and Leaving Cert results. (Scholarship awarded in September 2021)
The interview panel will consider such things as:
- Academic interests
- Knowledge/enthusiasm for the field of Biomedical Engineering
- Involvement and achievements in extracurricular activities
- Interpersonal and communication skills
Where do you get further information?
Scholarship is now closed for 2021