DePuy Synthes Mechanical Engineering Scholarship
The School of Mechanical, Electrical & Process Engineering is delighted to announce the 2021 MTU-DePuy Synthes Scholarship. Application for this scholarship is now open to any student who has applied through the CAO to study the Honours Degree in Mechanical Engineering (CR108) at MTU. This scholarship is offered in conjunction with DePuy Synthes, Cork, Ireland.
Who are DePuy Synthes?
DePuy Synthes are global leaders in providing healthcare solutions and employ over 5,300 worldwide. Their Irish operation is based in Co. Cork and employs over 600 people. It was established in 1997 to manufacture orthopaedic hips and knees. In early 2008 DePuy Synthes announced its intention to develop next generation orthopaedic products and processes for a global market at its Irish operation with the establishment of an innovation centre.
The Innovation Centre is an important part of DePuy Synthes Ireland’s global strategy and the work of the Cork Centre supports the development of next generation orthopaedic products and operations. People, with PhD, Masters and Bachelor Degrees in Mechanical Engineering, Biomedical Engineering, Materials and Quality, are employed in the purpose-built Innovation Centre and labs.
What is the nature of the Scholarship?
- Funding by DePuy Synthes towards your education each year of your 4 years studying the Honours Degree in Mechanical Engineering (CR108) at MTU. For the academic year 2021/2022 the scholarship will be €3,000
- Opportunity (although no obligation) for work placement with DePuy Synthes
- No obligation (on either party) post-graduation
What attributes are DePuy Synthes and MTU looking for in the scholarship student?
- A personal determination to apply her/his knowledge and skills in the promotion of human health and well-being.
- An Appreciation of the role of a mechanical engineer in the design and manufacture of Medical Devices.
- The potential to be creative and innovative in the design and implementation of solutions to engineering challenges.
- The interpersonal skills required to contribute to the optimal performance of multi-disciplinary teams and to ultimately lead such teams.
- The personal qualities of integrity and attention to detail required to ensure the safe provision of life-enhancing products to our customers.
On-line application form (Closing date: 21st March 2021)
Selected students invited for Interview (April/May)
Final awarding of scholarship will depend on interview performance and Leaving Cert results. (Scholarship awarded in September 2021)
The interview panel will consider such things as:
- Academic interests
- Enthusiasm for the field of Mechanical Engineering and Biomedical device sector.
- Involvement and achievements in extracurricular activities
- Interpersonal and communication skills
Where do you get further information?
Dr Andrew Cashman
- Email: email@example.com
- Tel: 021 4335069
Head of Department
Prof. Ger Kelly
Tel: 021 4326505