Maths Programme for Mature Students ... Apply now
Published on: Wednesday, 29 December 2010
CIT will run a pilot programme in January 2011 to allow prospective Mature Students to demonstrate their ability in Maths when applying for science/engineering courses in CIT. The Programme will consist of a 14 hour elementary maths course followed by a brief test on the work covered and a feedback session.
The purpose of the programme is to
(1) acquaint prospective Mature Students who are applying for entry into Year 1 of a full time programme of study in CIT, with some of the elementary mathematics that they will encounter in the first year of an engineering/science programme;
(2) provide an opportunity to prospective mature students to demonstrate their ability and aptitude in Maths;
(3) provide the Head of Department with a test result which would demonstrate if the prospective student has a suitable aptitude for Maths in relation to the course(s) being applied for.
The Programme will cover the following topics:
- Basics: ratio, proportion, percentages, approximations, error estimates;
- Indices – scientific notation;
- Logarithms – solving of ‘exponential’ equations;
- Evaluation and transposition of formulae;
- Introduction to function notation.
10th – 27th January 2011
14 Hours Tuition
2 Hour Assessment and 2 Hour Feedback Session
Important elements of the programme:
- PARTICIPANTS MUST COMMIT TO ATTENDING THE 18 HOURS OF THE PROGRAMME; failure to do so will be regarded as showing lack of commitment and could jeopardise a candidate’s prospects of being offered a place on a course irrespective of how well they might have performed in the test.
- There is a limit of 20 places on the programme for prospective mature students who wish to gain entry into science and engineering programmes in CIT. Places will be offered to the first 20 applicants who provide full commitment to attending the 18 hours of the programme.
If you are interested in participating in this programme please email email@example.com with the following information by Monday 10th January 2011:
• Contact Details
• Course(s) that you are applying for.