The School of Mechanical, Electrical & Process Engineering is delighted to announce the 2022 MTU-DePuy Synthes Biomedical Engineering Scholarship. Application for this scholarship will be open to any student who registers to study on year 1 of the Honours Degree in Biomedical Engineering (CR839) at MTU. This scholarship is offered in conjunction with DePuy Synthes, Cork, Ireland.
Who are DePuy Synthes?
DePuy Synthes are global leaders in providing healthcare solutions and employ over 5,300 worldwide. Their Irish operation is based in Co. Cork and employs over 600 people. It was established in 1997 to manufacture orthopaedic hips and knees. In early 2008 DePuy Synthes announced its intention to develop next generation orthopaedic products and processes for a global market at its Irish operation with the establishment of an innovation centre.
The Innovation Centre is an important part of DePuy Synthes Ireland’s global strategy and the work of the Cork Centre supports the development of next generation orthopaedic products and operations. People, with PhD, Masters and Bachelor Degrees in Biomedical Engineering, Materials and Quality, are employed in the new purpose-built Innovation Centre and labs.
What is the nature of the Scholarship?
- Funding by DePuy Synthes towards your education each year of your 4 years studying the Honours Degree in Biomedical Engineering (CR839) at MTU. For the academic year 2022/2023 the scholarship will be €3,000
- Opportunity (although no obligation) for work placement with DePuy Synthes
- No obligation (on either party) post-graduation
What type of student are we looking for?
- Enthusiastic and committed to discipline of study
- Academically ambitious
- Self-motivated with leadership potential
- Capable of innovation
- Well-developed interpersonal skills
What is the Recipient Selection Process?
- On-line application form (Following registration - September 2022)
- Selected students invited for Interview (September/October 2022)
- Final awarding of scholarship will depend on interview performance and Leaving Cert results. (Scholarship awarded in October 2022)
The interview panel will consider such things as:
- Academic interests
- Knowledge/enthusiasm for the field of Biomedical Engineering
- Involvement and achievements in extracurricular activities
- Interpersonal and communication skills
Where do you get further information?
Dr Hugh O’Donnell
Tel: 021 4326505