International Students

The Department of Chemical & Process Engineering

We produced our first chemical engineering graduates in 1983. Our aim is to educate our graduates to be versatile, flexible, and well prepared for the different roles they will fulfil as they move along their chosen career path. We offer a degree course that is broad-based in nature enabling our graduates to work in many industrial sectors. Most of our graduates are employed in the local region, which is a global centre for the pharmaceutical and biopharmaceutical manufacturing industry. We also have graduates working in the UK, mainland Europe, the Far East, Australia, South America and the US. In addition to the pharmaceutical sector, graduates are working in areas such as oil exploration, petrochemical processing, cement manufacture, food processing, environmental technologies and renewable energies.
Historically we have always been concerned about the safety and environmental aspects of engineering. The Clean Technology Centre was established by two of our academic staff and is a centre of excellence in the area of sustainable development, recognised at European and National level. For more information, see:

B.Eng (Hons) Degree in Chemical & Process Engineering

The B.Eng (Hons) degree in Chemical & Biopharmaceutical Engineering is a four-year honours degree course that is presented over 8 semesters. For more information on the course, in general, click here.  Details, e.g. information on the modules, are available here.


Is the B.Eng (Hons) Degree in Chemical and Biopharmaceutical Engineering of the same standard as a degree in the UK?

Our course is internationally accredited by the Institution of Chemical Engineers to B.Eng level. This means that you will be completing a degree which is of the same standard as any other B.Eng. accredited degree course in the UK.
Nationally we are approved by the government-established Higher Education and Training Awards Council and we are also accredited by the national professional engineering body: Engineers Ireland. All of this means that you can you can be sure that this is a high quality, well recognised qualification.
Back to top

Do I have to pay tuition fees?

Tuition fees at CIT are covered by the terms of a government scheme under which the State pays the tuition fees of full-time, non-repeat undergraduate students (from Ireland and the EU) who are not graduates. Accordingly, no tuition fees are payable (but read the next question), except by certain categories of students such as Non-EU students, students taking a second undergraduate course or those taking a year of a course for the second time. Details of tuition fees payable by these categories of student are available from the Finance Office, CIT T: 00353 21 4335440 E:
Back to top

Do I have to pay other fees?

Yes, an annual fee* set by the government for student services, registration and examinations is payable to the Institute. For Irish students who have been notified that they have been awarded a TLT Grant, Higher Education Grant or VEC Scholarship, the fee is paid on their behalf by the grant authority. Other full-time students must pay the fee by a specified date, of which they will be notified.
* (The fee in 2012/2013 will be €2,250 – about UK£1780).
Back to top

How do I apply for a place on your degree course?

The Central Applications Office (CAO) is the Irish equivalent of the UK’s UCAS for first year entrants. The CAO operates a points-scoring system. Each exam grade you have obtained is worth a certain number of points depending on your education system (G(C)SE, Scottish Highers). These points are then combined to give you an overall score which then determines whether you will be accepted on a particular course in Ireland.

You must register with the CAO (registration fee €45) and complete an application form.
Go to the CAO website:, select “enter site” then look for Cork Institute of Technology, then Level 8 courses, and finally CR105 for our degree.

Back to top

Is it possible to study some of the modules on this course as an Erasmus student?

Certainly!  Erasmus students are welcome. We have already hosted Erasmus students from Germany, France, Spain and Finland.  The language of tuition is English.  For details on applying as an Erasmus student, click here.

I am not an EU citizen, can I undertake courses in CIT?

Yes, but you must pay tuition fees and please note that there are both academic and residency conditions governing the offer of places to non-Eu applicants. Contact CIT's Finance Office for current fees.  Non-EU students are required to produce a Study Visa from the Department of Justice, Equality and Law Reform for the course for which they have applied. For conditions attached to acquiring this please refer to the Irish Naturalisation and Immigration Service:

How do I get an application form?

Click here to locate an application form.

Will I be just one among many others?

You will easily get to know the others in your class group of around 25 students. We are renowned for the great relationship that exists between the academic staff of the Department and our students. The Chemical Engineering Society is also very active so there will be plenty of opportunities to get to know your own class group and the year groups ahead of you.  Look at the "Graduates" page, that shows the class groups from 1983.
Back to top

Is there any contact with industry?

In third year, one third of the second semester is spent in industry, starting in April. In addition to seeing how to put theory into practice, a major focus is to learn how business works. Most students continue to work in their placement from June to September, and many base their final year research project on a problem of interest to their host company. We also have guest lectures from industrialists and arrange plant visits. Finally most of our staff have industrial experience and maintain close links.
Back to top

What types of student accommodation are available?

If you are new to the area, sharing an apartment in one of the privately operated student apartment complexes is an easy way to get to know people and find your feet in first year. In subsequent years you may choose to continue in a student complex or rent a house with friends. There are several complexes within easy walking distance of CIT.
For more information on accommodation, click here.
Back to top

What is Cork like to live in?

Cork City was named among the top ten in the best cities to visit in the Lonely Planet guide’s “Best in Travel 2010”. The guide described the city as being: “sophisticated, vibrant and diverse while still retaining its friendliness, relaxed charm and quick-fire wit.” The editor of the guide described the city as having: ”...great restaurants, galleries, bars and shops as well as stunning scenery on its doorstep”.
If you want to see what’s happening right now, look at:

Back to top

How can I get to Cork?

Cork has an airport ( Aer Lingus flies to Cork from Birmingham, Bristol, Edinburgh, London Gatwick, London Heathrow, Manchester, Jersey, as well as Amsterdam, Brussels, Geneva, Munich, Paris and Rennes; Ryanair flies from Liverpool, London Gatwick and London Stansted and there are other smaller carriers. Check out the airport site for a current full listing, timetables and destination map.
In addition, there are good road and rail links with Dublin.
Back to top

Can I do anything besides study at CIT?

There are 51 Societies in CIT. Some of these are discipline based, like the Chemical Engineering Society, or focused on a category of student, like the International Students Society, or on particular interests like the Circus Society or Family Guy Society. For more information, see:
There are 37 sports clubs, ranging from Aikido to Volleyball with lots in between. If you are joining a football club, remember there is Gaelic football as well as rugby and soccer! Facilities are excellent and CIT students have played on provincial and national teams and some have competed at international level. For more information, see: studentlife/sportsandclubs/ and the CIT Societies website or the International Students at CIT Society.
For more information about student life, see:
Back to top


This page was last updated on 29 Aug 2012

© 2022 - Munster Technological University - MTU