CIT and Cork Convention Centre honoured at CBA Gala Dinner
Published on: Monday, 22 January 2018
Cork Business of the Year Awards winners announced
Cork Institute of Technology (CIT) and Cork Convention Bureau were the big winners at the Cork Business Association’s ‘Cork Business of the Year’ Awards, which were held in Pairc Ui Caoimh on Saturday 20 January.
CIT received the top prize and accolade of ‘Cork Business of the Year – Large Category Award 2017’ at the Cork Business Association (CBA) Cork Business of the Year Awards Ceremony at Páirc Uí Chaoimh last Saturday night. According to the Cork Business Association, CIT won ‘because of its economic benefits, as well as the immense social and cultural aspects it brings to the region’
CIT President, Dr. Barry O'Connor said; "this award is an acknowledgement of the significant contribution CIT makes to the region through graduate employment, continuing professional development, cutting edge research, arts and culture and supporting many business sectors and communities. The Cork business community has provided further affirmation of the pivotal role of CIT in the cultural, economic, educational and sporting life of the region. It is due recognition of the impact and value of CIT, made possible by the hard work of dedicated, professional staff on all campuses across the Institute".
The awards, which are run in partnership with JCD and The Irish Examiner, recognise the outstanding contribution of businesses and individuals working diligently across varied sectors of business in Cork City and its environs.
The awards were presented at the CBA’s gala dinner at Pairc Ui Caoimh on Saturday the 20th January. A special tribute was also made to the late James O Sullivan and Owen O Callaghan, who were both prominent members of the CBA.
A further 8 awards were presented on the evening:
- Best Cork VFI Pub 2017 sponsored by the Vintners Federation Cork – The Oyster Tavern
- BEST CORK FAMILY BUSINESS 2017 sponsored by Musgraves - O' Connor Bros
- BEST CORK RETAIL BUSINESS 2017 sponsored by Cork City Council - Keanes Jewellers
- BEST IN TOURISM, ARTS, EVENTS 2017 sponsored by Irish Hotels Federation - Cork International Choral Festival
- BEST CORK NEW BUSINESS 2017 sponsored by Local Enterprise Office - The Republic of Work
- BEST CORK CAFÉ / RESTAURANT 2017 sponsored by The English Market- Nash 19
- BEST CORK PROFESSIONAL SERVICES BUSINESS 2017 sponsored by Irish Mainport - AM O Sullivan PR
- BEST CORK HOTEL 2017 sponsored by Kings Laundry - The Montenotte Hotel
Commenting on the winner, Chief Executive of Cork Business Association Lawrence Owens said, “This year we received a record number of entrants and I would like to congratulate each of our very deserving winners and finalists. To be finalists for these awards was, in itself, a wonderful achievement. I would like to sincerely thank all of our sponsors, in particular our award sponsor JCD, event partner AIB, and media partner The Irish Examiner”
The mission of the awards is to recognise the value and achievement of Cork Businesses. The CBA’s aim is to acknowledge an individual business that has contributed to or promoted the enhancement of the commercial, cultural or civic life of Cork. The CBA also aim to promote the profile of the winners and to encourage excellence in business activities.