George Mitchell Peace Scholarship Exchange 2011
Published on: Thursday, 02 June 2011
Are you interested in studying in the United States next January?
The George Mitchell Peace Scholarship exchange between CIT and the Maine Community College System is offering two one-semester scholarships to study in Maine, from January to May 2011. Each scholarship will consist of payment of tuition and academic fees, free accommodation and meals, return flights and a living cost subsidy for the period of the scholarship.
Applications are invited from recent CIT graduates or students who are taking a year out from their studies*.
The closing date for receipt of completed application forms is:
Friday 17th June 2011
* Credit cannot be transferred from the courses in Maine to CIT courses.
George Mitchell Peace Scholarship 2011-12
George J. Mitchell Peace Scholarship Exchange was established to provide opportunities for study exchanges between Ireland and the State of Maine. The scholarships acknowledge the historic role of Senator Mitchell in the peace process in Northern Ireland and in advancing the security, hope and opportunity for generations in Ireland. The exchange provides opportunities for students/recent graduates from CIT to study in a Community College in Maine. The scholarship scheme provides a similar arrangement for the University sector in Ireland.
The George Mitchell Peace Scholarship exchange between CIT and the Maine Community College System is offering either one full-year or two one-semester scholarships to study in Maine, during the academic year 2011-12. The scholarship consists of payment of tuition and academic fees, free accommodation and meals, return flights and a living cost subsidy for the period of the scholarship. If a full-year scholarship is awarded to one student, return airfares for the Christmas holidays are also covered.
The scholarship scheme is ideally suited to recent graduates or students who are taking a year out from their studies. The scholarship period is an ideal opportunity for students to study a completely different subject from their previous courses, or to supplement their learning through studying another aspect of their subject. (Transfer of credit for the Scholarship period to CIT courses is not possible.)
Application and Selection
Application forms and information on the scholarship and on the study opportunities in Maine, can be downloaded here. The closing date for receipt of applications is no later than Friday 17th June 2011. Earlier submission of application forms would be appreciated. It is anticipated that interviews will be held before the end of June 2011.
To qualify for a scholarship, students must:
- Have demonstrated a good level of academic achievement,
- Have proven leadership abilities and commitment to community service,
- Provide the names of two persons who will provide reference, one of whom should be a member of the staff of CIT.
- Be eligible to apply for a US Study Visa (i.e., not already on a visa to study in Ireland.
The Maine Community College System has a total of seven different colleges spread throughout the state. These are:
- Central Maine Community College, Lewiston- Auburn
- Eastern Maine Community College, Bangor
- Kennebec Valley Community College , Fairfield (nr. Augusta)
- Northern Maine Community College, Presque Isle
- Southern Maine Community College, Portland-South Portland
- Washington County Community College, Calais
- York County Community College, Wells
Areas of Study
Course in the Maine Community Colleges are mainly of two-year duration leading to associate degree qualifications. Shorter courses leading to diplomas and certificates are also offered. A very wide range of disciplines is available.
A convenient way for obtaining information on the courses and on the colleges is to check the Maine Community College web site on www.mccs.me.edu. This provides links to each of the colleges web sites. Information is also available in the Development Office in CIT.
Area of study includes the following. Please note that this list is not exhaustive:
- Allied Health
- Architectural Engineering and Construction
- Automotive & Mechanical
- Bioscience Technology
- Business Administration / Management
- Computer Applications & Technologies
- Culinary Art
- Early Childhood Education
- Electrical & Electronics
- Graphic Design & Printing
- Heating, Plumbing, Air Conditioning & Refrigeration
- Marine & Natural Resources
Each student who is awarded the scholarship and successfully completes his or her studies will have the distinct honour of being called a George Mitchell Scholar.