Instrumentation and PLC Systems (BSc) (Part-time)
Field of Study
Applied Physics and Instrumentation
Type of Course:
Type of Qualification:
Type of Study:
Application Closing Date:
9th September 2022
- Higher Certificate in Science in Applied Physics and Instrumentation or the Higher Certificate in Science in Industrial Measurement & Control
- Holders of other relevant Level 6 qualifications, including City & Guilds Course No. 275, will also be considered on an individual case basis
- Applicants holding relevant Level 7 (or higher) qualifications or having relevant industrial experience may be eligible for exemptions from certain modules
This programme of 60 credits provides advanced specialist education in measurement and control technology that broadens the perspective of the student and helps to develop design capabilities in instrumentation. The course also helps to consolidate the basic foundation in the discipline for students wishing to pursue the Bachelor of Science (Honours) in Instrument Engineering.
All part-time programmes at MTU Bishopstown Campus, Cork will run subject to sufficient student numbers. Where a programme cannot proceed, applicants will be contacted and advised on alternative study options.
Department website: https://physicalsciences.cit.ie/
Course Fee: €250 per 5 credit module (incl. exam fees)
Modules will be offered on three evenings per week.
Note: This Level 7 programme is delivered over two academic years.
Each year consists of two semesters: the first semester runs from September to January; and the second semester runs from February to June.
Single module certification within the Bachelor of Science in Instrumentation and PLC Systems.
The major award of the Bachelor of Science in Instrumentation and PLC Systems (Level 7 on the National Framework of Qualifications) will be received by students who successfully complete the course programme.
Quality and Qualifications Ireland (QQI)
This degree is recognised by the Institute of Physics. Graduates of recognised degrees qualify for Associate Membership upon graduation and may apply for full Membership after appropriate work experience
Please click on the module titles below for full details of modules re Bachelor of Science in Instrumentation and PLC Systems.
Stage 1 /Semester 1
|Mod Code||Module Title||PT Contact Hours||Course Work||Formal Exam|
|PHYS7036||Analytical Instrumentation (Approved)||3||
|PHYS7035||PLC Kinematic Control Systems (Approved)||3||100||0|
|PHYS7004||Industrial Comms & Networks (Approved)||3||100||0|
|PHYS7037||Calibration & Asset Mgmt (Approved)||3||100||0|
|PHYS7038||Instrumentation Design Eng (Approved)||3||100||0|
|PHYS7021||Process Quality Systems (Approved)||3||100||0|
Stage 1 /Semester 2
|Mod Code||Module Title||
PT Contact Hours
|Course Work||Formal Exam|
|PHYS7033||Control Systems Integration (Approved)||3||
|PHYS7034||PLC SCADA Systems (Approved)||3.5||100||0|
|PHYS7014||Dissertation/Project Report (Approved)||1||100||0|
|PHYS7009||Control for Process Industries (Approved)||4||100||0|
|ELEC7028||Industrial Electrical Systems (Approved)||3||100||0|
- Online application is open for course commencing September.
- Please note that applicants will be required to pay an acceptance fee of €250 online if a place on a course is offered. This fee is deductible from the overall course fee.
Note: You will not be charged for applying for the programme by clicking the 'Apply now >>' button, you are only asked to pay an acceptance fee if a place is offered to you and you wish to accept it.
- Late applications may be considered should any places become available.
- Please attach and upload any documents such as transcripts, CV, other details relevant to the application.