share this page

Submitting My Case

The type of paperwork you need depends on the type of prior learning you are are using as the basis of your case:

Non standard admissions

CIT allows for candidates or a cohort of students from a non-standard background to document their prior learning relevant to a programme by special arrangement with the relevant Head of Department.

Apply initially under the Central Admissions Office (CAO) at then contact the relevant Head of Department and outline the basis of your case.  You may have to present documentation to support your claim.


Advanced entry

CIT allows for advanced entry onto a programme by special arrangement with the Head of Department. As a candidate you will be interviewed by the Head of Department and you may be required to document your learning. This documentation may involve completing a learning portfolio outlining relevant learning and supported with appropriate evidence. The learning portfolio in this instance outlines the stream immediately prior to the entry point (i.e. prepared against year 2 modules for entry to year 3). it is available in word here.
Your task is to show that you are suitable for entry to the point in question highlighting relevant learning acquired through previous activities.
The Head of Department will arrange for the relevant academics to assess your learning portfolio and subsequently will contact the Registrars office and Admissions office on the matter (Advanced entry procedure). Your submission is held by the Head of Department as a record of advanced entry.


Credits on a programme

RPL for Recognition of credit on a programme or module

Your previous learning can count for credits on a programme allowing exemptions/grades depending on the type of learning. If your prior learning is based on previous formal exams sat or based on a combination type case (formal and experiential learning together) RPL is used to gain exemptions on a programme.
You must check out the basis of your case informally first with the subject lecturer or course co-ordinator.
Then apply here if its based on prior formal learning  or use this application form if your case is based on a combination of formal and experiential learning.
It will be allowed if every learning outcome is met at a pass level.

Please note at the award stage of programmes, only learning which has never previously contributed to a major award can be used and result in a classified award (i.e. distinction, merit, pass). Learning which has previously contributed to another major award, and presented for RPL purposes at a final stage of a programme will result in an unclassified award.
click here for more advice applying.

What about experiential learning ?

If you have experiential learning relevant to a module you may be able to present a prior learning case for assessment. You should check out the basis of the case informally first with subject lecturer or course co-ordinator.
Then apply using this application form. The learning portfolio is the normal approach used to document the case.
It will be allowed if every learning outcome is met at a pass level.
The assessor may take additional assessment steps as part of the assessment process. The grade (a % mark) will contribute to the overall Grade Point Average of your results.
click here for more advice applying.